Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How to prepare enough material?

As a new instructor, I'm finding my biggest challenge is being able to come up with constructive ways of using class time. Generally, I have 3 or 4 days per subject with about 3 hours to fill each day. Since I am teaching at a vocational college, the subject matter to be covered is fairly limited. That means I run out of things to say by the second day. Any advice for coming up with lesson plans that will cover all of my allotted time?

Vanessa,

I appreciate you sharing your challenge as a new instructor. I started last December. At times we can get overwhelmed because we know the information and can deliver it so quickly. I ran into the same problem. I began stretching the information and also giving group activities to research a portion of the topic and had the groups present their research. It really helped bring the shy students to the next level and they can present together. I will usually do 3 groups of 4. Give each one a topic to research. For example, the students had to think of a design for a pediatric office. They thought of the the theme and what different props the offices could have that would follow that theme. Hope this helps.

Olga De La Torre

I have started to integrate using the technology they are already using, or want to use everyday, their phone, into the learning environment and classroom.  Having them look something up, or send them on a cyber scavenger hunt, is a good way to engage them and take time to facilitate discussions from people who may not otherwise chime in.

Sign In to comment