Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Guest Speaker

We get a good number of former students visit our school. I like bring them into the classroom and interview them before the class. Their success is great motivation for current students. No doubt, they always reinforce what we teach.

I have to use a Pretest now.

I used to teach at least one of the first semester courses each semester, so I always knew where the students' knowledge and skill levels were. Lately, I've been teaching upper level courses exclusively, so I have to use a Pretest to see what was learned in first semester. Sometimes, I'm really surprised at either 1) what the students didn't learn or retain, 2) what may have not even been taught to them, or, worst case scenario 3) what may have been taught to them INCORRECTLY. Having a solid Pretest helps me and the students address so many issues, challenges,… >>>

Alternative Media

I have used video, PowerPoint, skills lab with hands on training, group discussions and board work in my class. I am looking for additional innovative teaching strategies that can be used to keep my students engaged. Any suggestions?

students

what are some different evaluation tools for students

Organization on Lecture Day

My approach thus far in teaching is to email my PowerPoint to my students a few days before lecture, preparing the classroom, slide show, notes, and any other housekeeping issues well before students arrive in the classroom. I start class promptly at the designated time and take hourly breaks to give students the option of movement. That being said, I have at least three students that constantly sleep during class regardless of what is happening in the classroom. Any suggestions on how to curb this type of behavior in the classroom?

students

when is a good time to assigned extra credit

students

how do you keep the attention of students when lecturing?

power point

how is adding power point to lecturing helpful?

support material, notes and assessment

support is very important, as well as material.you has to take notes.

learning objectives and standards

everyone has their own objectives, but standards or a different story.everyone has hteir own standard

overview of lesson plans

let's let the students decide

preparation for lesson planning

it is better to perpaired than not.

Power point and corresponding print out

When I use power point I always print the presentation in either two slides to three slides per page depending on the content on the slide. This gives the students an area to take notes while connecting those notes to the appropriate slide I believe this assists the student in making connections to the information provided, and helps with the retention of the information.

Using successful graduates of the program as guest speakers

I do like the use of guest speakers. I use past graduates of my program as guest speakers as they can show how the courses in the program are necessary to achieving excellence. They can give real world examples, show the "walk in my footsteps" scenarios. My only concern with guest speakers in the field is when and if the question of salary comes up. I prep my speakers that if this does come up to reply something like this... "each site is different" "getting experience under your belt is most important" "you need to prove yourself" You are training… >>>

Creating an Evaluation System

The creation of evaluation system is an excellent tool because we need to assess the progressions of each student individually. When informing the students of their progress and see that smile on most of their faces are priceless. It aids you in knowing what they know and do not know, with a plan B you can adjusted to cover what they are not understanding and section does need additional help. With grading the exams and return them to the student the next class meet, make so much easy to evaluate and fix what what is necessary for the students. Formative… >>>

Troubleshooting Instructional Strategies

Anticipating problems is a major factor to do in career education course, the demographics of our students does dictate the anticipation for problems. As the class manager as you put it, we as instructors definitely needs to have a plan B and at time plan C for back up plan(s). One style of lesson will work with a certain percentage of your student and well with others. Having more than one lesson plan so learning will continue and every student will be in engaged in the process of learning. I cannot thank you more for the different strategies, with specific… >>>

Instructional method delivery

I have always thought that I have very unique style for delivering the information to my students. Learning the instructional delivery methods gave me a complete new look on what I was doing correct to what I was doing wrong, the outlining of personality, presentation, and situation gave me the opportunity to be specific in each categories. I got the fact that I can be one personality for each class, every class require a different presentation because the information is different and the students some times are also different, which make the situation different. Therefore, the preparation of delivery choices… >>>

Preparing for the classroom

I think this is or should be every instructors goal if not number one then, prioritize your goals. Taking this course and reading on instructors come in all shapes and sizes, put specific knowledge on certain criteria in my head. It gave me different view especially differentiating Socratic instructor, statue instructor, and understanding the need to observe other teaching styles of of other instructors. This can have a little negative to it, another instructor may thinks you're observing them for the wrong reasons. It does take diplomacy to be an effective instructor especially with dealing with the varieties of personality… >>>

CATs Classroom Assessment Techniques

The use of CATs is a good way of assessing your effectiveness in teaching your topic. Quick easy activities to see if the students are "getting it". What are some ways any of you are using CATs in your classes?

Grading

ATI Testing and engrade usage.