Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Adjusting Weighting of Test Sections

Sometime I notice patterns after I have graded a stack of tests. It might be that students did particularly poorly on the TF, or on the Multiple Choice. I will do an evaluation by listing scores with intended weighting, then reworking the scores as if the point values of test sections were realligned.  There is no definite pattern as to when or if a particular section appears to have been more problematic, but sometimes this does occur.  On a recent exam, just about every student made more errors on the MC than on the TF. I ended up reducing the Point value on the MC to 2 from 3 points, and shifting those extra points among the TF and the essay questions.  Virtually every student ultimately earned a higher score!  I would not do the shifting if any student were to suffer-I would come up with a better "solution." There was no need to throw the test out or give a supplemental exam.  I DO not ever have to curve exams. Perhaps i might if I deemed it necessary, but I assume I adequately prepare my students for my rigorous exams and it generates very reasonable results. I do actually explain to students when I make these adjustments.

I, too, never curve a test or quiz. Not because I fell it is unnecessary but because I and the students I teach work in a very intense medical environment. There is no room for mistakes and patients will not give them a second chance.

My school gives an outline of the weight of different components of their final grade. We have the ability to adjust that weight as long as the end result is equal. So if the assessment portion (exams) is worth 30% of their final grade then I will pull say 10% out for their final exam. My opinion, if they can not pass the final exam they have no business passing the class so I weight it heavier.

I am not permitted to adjust the values of each test, we give 6 tests all of equal weight.  I do, however, adjust the value of the various parts of the test. Our students need to learn machine operations, machine coding, math, machine shop theory and vocabulary.  It is easy to have one section of the test become predominate in the score so I assign each section of the test a percentage of the total score depending how foundational and important that section is.  I am more concerned with the importance of the information or skill for success in their career rather than the difficulty of the subject.  Most of the time the simpler sections wind up with more weight because they are the foundation of future success.  It is easy to do this by creating an Excel spreadsheet to enter each section grade in to get a total test grade.

Sign In to comment