Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

TO YOUTUBE or NOT TO YOUTUBE

I find youtube to be a great resource for immediate dialog and reference. How should we use some of the seminars without any legal constraints. What is the protocal?

Adaptive Learning

All I can say is bless the person who invented text to speach for this class.  The over use over the two words adaptive learning got a little hard to read.   Alot of typical buzz words were thrown in to pad the text, I would have found this a lot easyier to learn if it was taught via an adaptive model. Other than that it is over ;)

Adaptive Learning as a suppliment

From my experience of teaching online and F2F I am finding I am utilizing more online resources F2F and using the online piece as enrichment to what is discussed F2F. True Hybrid class.

Adaptive Learning

If the concept and research of adaptive learning was theorized in the 1950's, why has it taken all these years for this concept to bloom?

Lern By Teaching Others

Yes, I learn by teaching others.  The reason why I say this is because through teaching I encourage the students to share what they know about the subject area.

Learning As We Teach

Recently a colleague introduced our faculty to a new technology based teaching aid via the internet.  It includes a method of building quizzes for students and provides a great deal of post quiz data that can be helpful in assessing the needs and successes of our students.

Gamification without tools

I often don't have access to the adaptive learning tools.  I have used PowerPoints that show a spinner and select a number to drive games like Jeopardy! in the classroom.  I have the stundents take some time to select questons from the material, then we assign each student a number and go through the numbers - and each student asks their question and the others get to answer it.

anybody got any other things they use to gamify their classroom?

Dan Nsisen

Make Up Exams

All my exams are multiple choice. Students like these exams better as the answer is there to jog their memory. If a student misses an exam he/she will be given a make up exam as long as they have a doctors excuse/legal document explaining that they were not able to attend class that day. A fill in the blank exam will be given instead of multiple choice. They will also lose 10 points for every day it is late. This system has always worked for me.

Pretesting Really Works

Usually on the first day of a module I give a comprehensive exam of the course to see what the students already know (Knowledge Base). The very last day of the module I give a exit exam with the exact same questions and the scores are at least 80% higher. The students really enjoy this because they can see how much they have learned during the course.

Power Points Verses Writting On The Board

I am a fairly new instructor. I have always taught from power points with short videos to keep the students attention. I thought about changing to only teach by using the white board. After this lesson I am no longer sure about that. The reason im considering the change is I have a problem with the student getting sleepy as soon as the lights go off. Any Suggestions!!!!

lesson plans

I have never implemented using a daily lesson plan, per se. I write out my course outline/syllabi and we review that on the first day of class. There is a calendar for review of how and what we will be covering and the time line involved. I do state that at any time this can change, pending time constraints, weather, etc. It has worked out quite well for me. Is there anything I am missing by NOT doing a daily lesson plan?

Assessing understanding

The idea of pretesting is a great option to implement prior to shifting subject matter topics. It also may show if they have actually done their assigned reading. How many questions would be advisable though?

RE: Observing Your Educational Setting

I am constantly observing the students as I am instructing the class. The largest downfall I see for student are cell phone. What I did to rectify this problem is absolutely prohibit cell phones in my classroom. They are a destraction to the student using them as well as to the students around them. I have a cell phone basket at the front of the room by the door. On the first day of class I give the students handouts of the classroom rules and go over this hand out in detail. Once I finish I have them sing a… >>>

Non- English speaking Students

This seems to be becoming more prevalent in schools today. I find that they work so hard to be able to keep up with the other students. I find myself catering to them which mightt not be the best thing in the long run. Should they be able to use dictionaries or be allowed more time on exams?

Maintaining a gradebook

We expect our students to submit their work on time with diligence. As such, we as the instructors must return graded assignments on time. To complete your assessment of student progress, I find it important to follow up with guidance on the assignments. Students must receive valuable feedback to all quizzes, competencies and projects. We are doing them a dis-service by not following through with the material they may not have learned and what better way to ensure they have gained knowledge than by following up with a graded assessment.

The Best Laid Plan

Even the best plans can falter. Being over-prepared with back up activities is essential. It is also important to continuously update your activities to ensure that you are meeting your students needs and to prevent burn-out for you the instructor.

Death by Powerpoint

It can be easy for an instructor to rely to heavily on the powerpoint. A poorly crafted powerpoint can have catastrophic results. Over the years, I have seen great and not so great powerpoint presentations. The overloaded, unorganized powerpoint will confuse and frustrate students. The use of powerpoints can also but distance between the instructor and the class as the instructor's back is turned to the students and they end up reading each slide word for word. While an effective method of instruction, I would caution the less experienced instructor on the over use of powerpoint.

Setting the stage

As a new instructor I went into my classroom with the mindset that I was about to give an award winning performance. I had feedback on the students in the class and found out that they were less than responsive to new instructors. I have to say the news I had on them was slightly intimidating. With that being said, I figured what do I have to loose if I go in with an abundance of energy. My class started and ended with a hook to get the students excited and by the end of the term, this class who… >>>

Ice Breaker Suggestions

From my past educational and teaching experiences, here are a few different approaches to ice breakers that I utilize in my classes: 1) Note Card--on a 4 x 6 index card, have the students answer a series of questions on the card (e.g. why are you taking this class?, what are your career aspirations?, what are your hobbies?, etc.) in order to get to know your students a bit better. You can go around the class and have students answer the questions, but make sure to collect the cards at the end of the class to be able to reference.… >>>

Real Time Grades Help with Retention

We use a Learning Management System that is constantly updated with grades and viewable at any time by the students and, if utilized fully, keeps students from sliding into too much trouble. I can keep students from getting too far behind, or having too many poor grades on homework or quizzes. Having current, accurate grades available to students as much as possible really helps students understand when they are doing well or falling behind. I have found it to be very beneficial.