Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This has helped to enforce that tools used within the classroom can be transferred to on-line training.  During the first two weeks of shool I usual go through my expectations for the classroom and give them a bio of myself.  I have never thought about getting students to do one at the beginning of the year.  Usining this tool for e-learning is a great idea.

To be fully effective, an educator must be fully committed to his/her students.  The student can sense trust. 

An educator shoud be fully commited to their students.

I learned that providing a bio of your credentials, experience, and accomplishments can help students engage with you. You can also help students to engage with each other through discusssion boards of the course content, and discussion forums of nonn-content-related topics.  This helps learners in similar locales connect with each other.  You can also answer questions about the course, being careful not to use the enquirer's name without their permission.  I will be sure my online courses contain rich discussion and conversation forums, a listing of office hours where I can be available to answer their questions in real time, and group activities that allow students to interact wiith and learn from each other.

Connecting with student is a virtual environment can be challenging. Spening time to build relationships and to check on learning is needed. Making sure one has the proper support, especially from a technical perspecitve, is important.

This section has emphasized the importance of presenting yourself as a relatable and authoritative educator online.

Within the Projectig Your Presence module, I found it meaningful that we as instructors will utilize the same strategies online as we would within the classroom. 

Try to be as transparent as possible with your students. Let them feel that you care about them and how they learn. 

We need to know that we are on a good team. Telling students about our teaching credentials can help give the students confidene in their "coach". Having the students produce short biographies will really help me get to know them. The students dread this a bit, but I refer back to it often in the beginning of the year as I try to make connections with my students. I suggest asking secondary school students to tell me 2 or 3 possible jobs/careers they would like. I liked the idea for students to add teacher expectations, to make them think and empower them a bit.

It is important to know your audience and individual learning styles.

By creating a one-on-one relationship with your students, you will gain their trust, and respect. Establishing a personal connection will promote an enriched, meaningful, and dynamic learning enviroment.

I learned easy to implement strategies for Projecting my authority and building relationships. 

Having a relationship with your students allows them to feel more comfortable in the virtual classroom setting.

It's important to make a personal connection with the students

It's very important to make a personal connection with students and to aim to build a real and mutually respectful learning relationship. 

It will be important to establish concrete relationships, with your students, through varies on-line platforms.

I love the idea of having students post a short bio of themselves on day one.  I have been thinking how difficult it will be not meeting the studens face to face in the classroom this fall.  Having students post bios is a great way to get to know them and each other.

E-Learning is fundamentally the same as in person. Meaning that you have to get to know each and everyone of your students so that you can connect with them. The more invested you are in them,the more effective you will be in teaching them.

I learned how important it is to be a real person to your students and different ideas for how to appropriately get to know each other in an online platform.

Projecting my presence for this school year if we are online will be interesting because many students are familiar with me from the previous school year, but some will be freshman who I have never met before. An ice breaker activity at the beginning of the year to create a sense of community and communicating my qualifications will be beneficial. 

Sign In to comment