Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

The Human Factor

This module is very helpful because it talks about a lot of stuff as technical standards, avoiding stereotypes, no pre-admission inquiries, know your limits, and confidentiality in admissions. There is a phrase that is "Don't judge a book by its cover." People in society are judging other people by their appearance such as how the way he or she looks.

The Accomdation Process

This module talks about the difference between access verus success, WHo Holds The Documentation, Who Makes The Decision, Who Delivers The Service, Thinking Outside THe Box, Relating Documentation to Accomdation, Ocer-Accomdation and Unfair Advantage, and Unversal Design. Universal Design was first used by architect Ron Mace in the mid-1980s to descrive the concept of designing all products and the environment to be usable to the greatest extent possible by everyone. Ron Mace would have wanted that in our society today that we rarely think about its importance or its impact in our daily lives. An example of Universal Design is… >>>

The Impact of Disability

This module talks about the fiunctional limitations of each disabilty such as blind stuents, deaf students, chronic helath impairments students, Learning disabilties students, ADHD students, PTSD(Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder), Autistic Students, Aspeger Syndrome Students, Traumatic Brain Injuries Students, and Disabled Veterans. Everybody has strengths and weaknesses. In addition, everybody wants to succeed in their lives. In the How Hearing Impacts Learning of this module, Helen Keller was asked one time whether she would considered blindness or dearfness to be the more significant handicap. She said, "Blindness is a barrier between people and things. Deafness is a barrier between people and people."

Legal Obligations and Opportunities

This module is very helpful because it talks about a lot of stuff. The key is to allow students to reach their potential on what they want to pursue in their career. From my experience, I have autism and I had an accomdation that was extended test time on my tests. The accomdation helped me out tremendously because I could focus more on the tests instead of rushing through to get in time. Once I graduated from college, I knew I reached my potential and I proved to myself that you know what just because I have a disabiltiy, it… >>>

Attendance as an accommodation

We have previously had issues where our strict attendance policy is viewed by disabled students as inherently discriminatory. They have expressed the opinion that it does not enable them to meet their needs of doctor appointments, physical therapy, etc. Our position has been that successfully participating in classroom learning is an essential component of the curriculum- as is meeting the contact hours that are required. After all this is not a correspondence course. Is there distinctions that should be made, and how do we stay out of the gray areas here?

the realities of TIME in providing accommodations

At our institution, I think we have improved drastically in our understanding of and provisions for "reasonable accommodations". The challenge has not been so much the what to provide, as the how quickly it can be provided so as not to interfere with the student's access to the same materials and resources. We offer an accelerated model, so struggle a bit in having the ability to provide a student enrolled in a particular class, for example, with all the handouts in the appropriate formats at the same time as other students receiving them in the standard format so that they… >>>

CM 201

How do you all feel it helped you?  I feel like it was very helpful...maybe not not so much in new material, but in reinforcing the training I received at my college.

Compliance at my school is very important--as it should be at every school in my opinion--I think this course adds to the the wealth of information we have been presented thus far.

Re: The Training from Max Knowledge

Hi all,

I enjoyed the training, I do feel that the requirements are too stringent but I learned alot and still enjoyed the CM102 traning and it was great.  How does eveyone else feel about it?  Has anyone else taken it before.

Obligation versus reality

When is it ok to acknowledge that a student is not successful in a particular course. We give them the information; positive, negative and optional, allow them to make the decision to either stay and fail or move on to another program that they are better equiped. I understand that accomadating students for success is not the same as them being successful but if the instructor can see that the student and the career path are not in line when and who tells the student the truth. Or do we allow them (the student) to spend (or waste) a great… >>>

Student with disability

I noticed that during class a student could not wright any words correct. After class I called her, and she started crying, and told me that she knew why I was calling her. She decided not to stay in class. I did not know what to do next and passed it to the DOE.

THe student wants to bring her dog to class

She states that; because of her anxiety she needs her dog near her. It was not brought to any ones attention before she started her classes. What should we do?

Students ith disability

Some students with disability can and have creat challenges in the classroom, but they overcome their problems focising on what they need to do....

Student with disability

I do believe that the school should say something to the students. just don't lead them into something that they will not be able to do.

accommodations

many will complain about "extra" help for people with disabilities, regardless of the disability and how it is unfair regarding a perceptive "grade increase" however I try to focus my students on being competitive with themselves, not anyone else. I grade them according to THEIR ability, not as compared to anyone else in the class.

My role

Our role will always be to provide information and allow students to make an informed decision.

access to education

Access to education elimate disability.

Impact of disability in classroom

Some students with disability can and have creat challenges in the classroom.

communication barrier

I believe ESL should be considered as a disability and student should be given more test time.

Need to know

Are there any guidelines as to when/if the administration of an institution should reach out to a faculty member regarding a disabilty a student may have?

Separation of duties

In our company we have many departments that support our schools. The processing of financial aid is not handled at the school level, the processing is taken care of in our home office. in our home office we have separate departments that are assigned various duties. We have a financial aid office,a business office, accounting department and an operations department that all serve to handle student financial aid and tuition accounts.