Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

the realities of TIME in providing accommodations

At our institution, I think we have improved drastically in our understanding of and provisions for "reasonable accommodations". The challenge has not been so much the what to provide, as the how quickly it can be provided so as not to interfere with the student's access to the same materials and resources. We offer an accelerated model, so struggle a bit in having the ability to provide a student enrolled in a particular class, for example, with all the handouts in the appropriate formats at the same time as other students receiving them in the standard format so that they can maintain the same rate of progress. Is there additional interpretations that the student being provided accommodations must maintain the same rate of progress as other students?

Additionally, we are struggling somewhat in determining what is reasonable for LD/ADHD students that "need more time" for assignments, test, etc. How do we determine, based on their functional levels, what is appropriate without having an expert in that disability on our staff?

Gayle,
Again, you ask two separate (excellent!) questions that deserve careful answers. How do you meet the needs of students for reasonable accommodation in an accelerated program that makes it difficult to keep up with the demands for alternate media and materials? The best answer I can provide is to suggest more planning ahead. Both the school AND the student have responsibilities here, and the student's responsibility is to request needed accommodations in a timely manner (that is, leaving enough time for the institution to comply without having to jump through hoops). Rather than rushing to provide alternate materials on a daily basis, most institutions begin the process of creating alternate materials immediately upon notice that the student with a disability has enrolled in a given class for the next term. The ideal is to have as many of the materials as possible already available in the necessary formats before the term begins.

Now -- how to you know how much extended time to provide for LD/ADHD students without having an expert on staff? I am not sure you can. The only relief here is that what you need is someone who is an expert in accommodations for access, not necessarily an expert in LD/ADHD. There should be someone among the institutional personnel who is assigned the responsibility for making such decisions, and who has access to training and resources that will allow them to make those determinations in a logical and responsible fashion, in keeping with good practice in the field. There are many regional, state, and national organizations of disability service providers who can help newcomers to the field in learning how best to serve the student while still maintaining the academic integrity of the program. If you would like to pursue more information about resources, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Gayle,

This has been one of my struggles in understanding this material! Determining what is reasonable when I am not an expert by any means. The material is great and is a resource but it is difficult to know what is reasonable.

Great questions!

Gloria,
You shouldn't HAVE to be the one trying to figure all this out. There should be someone at your institution who has the assigned responsibility (and the enhanced information/knowledge to go with it) to make determination of appropriate accommodations and to serve as a resource BOTH for students with disabilities and for faculty/staff. If there isn't someone with those responsibilities, I would encourage you to contact the school administration and (gently!) suggest it!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment