Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student with disability

I noticed that during class a student could not wright any words correct. After class I called her, and she started crying, and told me that she knew why I was calling her. She decided not to stay in class. I did not know what to do next and passed it to the DOE.

Eduardo,
This is a tough situation. You have done the right thing in reaching out to the student. Unless she is willing to pursue possibilities and support, it is difficult to know whether there is something that could be done to foster her participation and (hopefully) success, or whether she is right to choose to withdraw at this time. If there are others at your institution charged with issues of retention, it might be useful to have someone from that unit reach out to such a student.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I recently had a student who was so self conscious about her writing she would not turn in any papers. I spoke to her and tried to tell her we were there to help and we wanted her to succeed. I offered my help and told her any grade was better than a zero but I could not help her if she did not try. Was this right? I do not know if she has a disability or is just a bad writer.

I think you answered your own question in the last sentence, Darcie. You don't know if the student had a disability or not. You treated her as you would any student experiencing the same difficulties -- and that is JUST what you should have done!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

So, what i have learned from this is student equality. With exceptions to accommodations to disabled students, every student should be treated equally and given the same respect.

Hmmm. I THINK I agree with you, Angela, but I am not sure from the way this is worded. I agree that every student should be treated equally and given the same respect. I am not sure what "With exceptions to accommodations to disabled students" means. Are you saying that making accommodations for disabled students means NOT treating them equally? I hope not, as I would have to disagree with that. I THINK that what you are saying is that accommodations don't change things. They simply provide the opportunity to treat students with disabilities as you would anyone else (that is, with the same expectations) and give them the same respect. And THAT idea I applaud.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment