Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Attendance as an accommodation

We have previously had issues where our strict attendance policy is viewed by disabled students as inherently discriminatory. They have expressed the opinion that it does not enable them to meet their needs of doctor appointments, physical therapy, etc.
Our position has been that successfully participating in classroom learning is an essential component of the curriculum- as is meeting the contact hours that are required. After all this is not a correspondence course.

Is there distinctions that should be made, and how do we stay out of the gray areas here?

Gayle,
I don't think you CAN stay out of the gray areas, Gayle. There are lots of disability service providers who advocate for extended absences as a reasonable accommodation. There are others who feel as you do (and as *I* do!) -- that attendance can be a legitimate element of curriculum. The best advice I can give is that you encourage the decision-makers to consider on a case-by-case basis. You are less likely to get in trouble for saying "no" than for saying, "never!"

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Good information for thought. Our institution is attendance-driven as well; is it going beyond accommodation to allow students with disabilities non-compliance with attendance policies. My thoughts are that other students have to adhere and attend classes.

Denise,
I am not sure what you mean by "attendance driven"? Are you talking about funding based on the physical presence of students in seats? That isn't a legitimate reason for denying accommodation. If you are referring to the need for attendance in order to fully participate -- then I'm with you!
Dr. Jane Jarrow

I feel like it goes back to not being able to request that a disabled student follow the requirements for a course that only require a student that poses a risk of not being able to complete the task. The attendence policy should be enforeced regardless. But case by case does sound more reasonable.

Amanda ,
Wait. I missed something here. I tend to agree that attendance policies generally can be enforced. But I am not sure what you are referring to when you say, "not being able to request that a disabled student follow the requirements for a course that only require a student that poses a risk of not being able to complete the task."

Dr. Jane Jarrow

When they talk about disability as making the disabled student up to the level of the non-disabled student, I would think having other appointments would not be considered as part of the accommodation. Other students also have outside responsibilities, for example children, that may impose on their time like Doctors appointments for the disabled student.

Jean,
I agree with you most all of the time. (Actually, I'm not a big fan of attendance leniency as an accommodation in MOST situations, but others in the field find it appropriate.) Generally, if it is an appointment that the student could have -- and should have! -- made at another time, if they choose to miss, so be it. But for students with some tricky disabilities that require unique medical intervention or when appointments are set for them by the agencies they are working with (such as Voc Rehab), the student may have little flexibility in reaching the people they need to see.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I believe, disability or not, if the expectation of attendance is set forth at admissions, it is the student's responsibility to plan accordingly - just as any other student should. This course makes the clarification that ADA and 504 are designed to offer equal access, not to provide a means for success.

Sign In to comment