Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Legal Obligations and Opportunities

This module is very helpful because it talks about a lot of stuff. The key is to allow students to reach their potential on what they want to pursue in their career. From my experience, I have autism and I had an accomdation that was extended test time on my tests. The accomdation helped me out tremendously because I could focus more on the tests instead of rushing through to get in time. Once I graduated from college, I knew I reached my potential and I proved to myself that you know what just because I have a disabiltiy, it does not mean I am limited to what I can do. Every college and univeristy should have an office of disability service so that way it would make the students with disabilities lives much easier and they can get their accomdations that they need.

James,
You have just articulated EXACTLY why extended time is often an appropriate accommodation for students with disabilities -- so that the student can focus on the content of the test, instead of on the clock!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I have had students in my class before with ADHD. Even though they did not require extra time on their test, they were often very disruptive in class and made teaching the other students more difficult than it would have otherwise been. So I can at least somewhat empathize with those with disabilities. Does anyone have any tips on dealing w/ students w/ ADHD?

Michael,
The best I can suggest is that you not be intimidated by the student's "disabled" status. Students are still responsible for following an acceptable code of conduct. If they don't, you have every right to impose the same sanctions you impose on any other student who engages in disruptive behavior.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Who are we (educators) to decide who can make a contribution to society. There have been many "disabled" people who have made great strides and contributions in areas of medicine, music, art and animal science. If we limit one person to the right to an education, where will it stop. Every person, disabled or not has the "right" to pursue their dreams academic and otherwise. As a society we need to encourage them and embrace differences.

Michele,
I couldn't agree more. Add to your argument the fact that we certainly can't know if a non-disabled individual will contribute meaningfully either, and we are left with the conclusion that EVERYONE deserves a chance!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I agree. As an RN, I am used to caring for patients with all kinds of disabilities. In the hospital setting, my care centers on the activities of daily living that I must assist the patient with. I accomodate them, and also help them to mainitain their dignity and independence. It is somewhat the same in the classroom. I must recognize the students disabilities and accomodate the way they learn and any special needs they may have, while still maintaining their dignity and independence.

RONDA,
That's a great parallel to draw -- especially the part about maintaining dignity and independence. Too often folks think it is their job to take care of someone with a disability, rather than recognizing their role in SUPPORTING someone with a disability. It may sound like semantics, but it is very real to the individual who feels the difference between pity and respect.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Ronda, I think that its fantastice that you have experience working with people and their disabilities. Unfortunately, we are not all trained or take the time to stop and find out how we can help out. We live in a selfcentered world and often forget about the feelings of others and not visible disabilities. I appreciate your action as an RN and for being a compasionate human.

Sign In to comment