Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Human Factor

This module is very helpful because it talks about a lot of stuff as technical standards, avoiding stereotypes, no pre-admission inquiries, know your limits, and confidentiality in admissions. There is a phrase that is "Don't judge a book by its cover." People in society are judging other people by their appearance such as how the way he or she looks.

I completely agree. Just because someone is in a wheelchair or has a learning disability, it doesn't mean they can't be successful and productive members of society.

Lisa,
Years ago, there was a disability awareness poster on the market that showed a rather plain looking young woman with a neutral expression on her face, leaning on crutches with obvious leg braces, staring at the camera. The caption said, "If, when you look at this picture, you think, "crippled, limited, useless, charity case" -- HOW MUCH OF HER HANDICAP IS IN YOUR HEAD?!?"

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Of course I have to agree. This module opened my eyes immensely.

Daniel,
The sharing of success stories is always a useful strategy to put emphasis to the sharing of information!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Its sad that this day in age people are still judged by how they look or if they have a disability. Its important to discuss this information with school aged children so that we can gradually see a change in others attitudes towards disabilities.

Crystal,
It is surprising how accepting children can be if they are taught to think of people as "capable." There is an old song from the musical "South Pacific" called "You've Got To Be Taught". The idea is that people don't automatically have prejudices -- they learn them from their elders. That means we can influence things in a positive way, as well.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment