Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Obligation versus reality

When is it ok to acknowledge that a student is not successful in a particular course. We give them the information; positive, negative and optional, allow them to make the decision to either stay and fail or move on to another program that they are better equiped.
I understand that accomadating students for success is not the same as them being successful but if the instructor can see that the student and the career path are not in line when and who tells the student the truth.
Or do we allow them (the student) to spend (or waste) a great amount of time on a path that will not lead them 'where' they want to go. Why can we not give realistic views of the path and if or when the student asks if the instructor (someone doing what the student wants to one day do) thinks they will be success are we to lie?
I don't lie I give truth and options to decide.

OK... let's back up here, Julia. It is appropriate to tell a student (any student, with or without disability) that they are not successful if they fail to perform to expectations on the tasks and assessments that are used in that program. Appropriate accommodations are NEVER about accommodating for success. They are about assuring access. The "success" is provided -- or not! -- by the student in his/her performance. I am not sure what you mean when you say, " if the instructor can see that the student and the career path are not in line when and who tells the student the truth." The only "truth" here is that the instructor does not see how the student is going to use the skills and information they are learning. It does not mean that the student CANNOT use the skills and information they are learning, or that employment is not a possibility. IF THE STUDENT IS PERFORMING APPROPRIATELY and meeting the same performance standards demanded of everyone else, then the only appropriate (and legal!) response to give to the student is to say (essentially), "you are doing a good job at mastering the skills we teach here." If you want to follow that up by saying, "I am not sure what your job prospects will be when you graduate," that might be appropriate. If you say, "this isn't the right career path for you because you'll never get a job" it is NOT appropriate. Are you comfortable with that distinction?

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Yes, I am I have had several students from a different institution, who struggled and "I" was one of the only instructors that pushed for the students success. In saying this I did ask each student to remind themselves and others of their goals to insure they were still on the path that they chose.
But what about when a student is not performing appropriately and does not meet the same standards demanded of everyone else... what if this was something that was seen from the beginning no matter how the student tries? I just would rather know how a student plans to work a career by knowing the path versus allowing them to 'flounder' and fail... in their eyes...

Julia,
Hmmm... I'm still not sure here, Julia. You say, "what if this was something that was seen from the beginning no matter how the student tries?" But if the student meets the requirements to enter the program, how CAN you know -- from the beginning -- that he/she will not be successful and not be able to pursue any employment in the field? The fact that students can't perform in the USUAL way (or may not fit in the USUAL job) in the field does not mean that there is no way for them to use the education you provide.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I suppose I am basing this on a situation where a student of mine struggled greatly to pass even the simpliest of test, not to mention they graduated with a certificate of completion from high school not a diploma, and they were documented mentally handicapped. Now as their instructor I did everything I could do to get the information understandable as well as extended time for tests (reasonably of course). This particular student was also a little person. Being a little person I have seen them work so I know they can DO the work. Being mentally handicapped yet being able to within reason answer certain questions about material they would need on a daily basis not so much.... not to mention the board they would have to pass had a time limit, is what I am talking about.
I believe that if I give EVERY opportunity for a student to be personally successful, this student may not be so in most medical fields.
I feel as instructors, we, if admissions does not offer realistic outcomes, are obligated to assist so that some students will not spend time and money only to be disappointed.

Julia,
Careful here, Julia. First... State and national board examinations (for certification or licensure in a field) are also subject to the ADA, and extended time would be available to a student with a disability-related need on those exams, as well. Second, we do NOT give accommodations in order to assure "EVERY opportunity for a student to be personally successful." We give accommodations for ACCESS, not success. It worries me when you suggest that if admissions staff weren't realistic in the outcomes they discussed, you should be. That sounds as though you may be leaning toward what is called in the law "restrictive career counseling" (indicating that this is not a good field for the student to pursue), and it is EXPRESSLY illegal.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment