Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Retention Starts in Admissions | Origin: RT103

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Implementing Successful Student Retention Strategies --> Retention Starts in Admissions

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I learned that the more information the prospect student has, and the new student, the more likely they are to succeed.

I intend to apply this knowledge by being active in giving the new student as much information as I can to keep them informed and engaged. Also to help the student feel comfortable about reaching out to me for any questions they may have.  

I learned that it is important to provide all the tools and information for the student before they even begin their first class. By providing enough information explaining the various programs the school offers as well as what they will be able to do with their degree once finished can lead to a higher success rate for the student. 

I intend to apply this by making sure I have the information at hand to make students feel comfortable reaching out and that they aren't waiting for specific information.

I learned that the more information the student knows is very helpful and that the admissions process plays a vital role in their graduation. The student is already thinking of ways to get to their graduation date and they are going to whatever it takes. 

I will be prepared for the new student and make sure they understand the expectations. 

From this module I learned that the more information a prospective student has about the school and the programs being offerred the more likely they are to succeed. It is important that admissions representatives take the necessary amount of time with each prospective student despite what they think their potential might be.

Identifying Core Commanality Traits (self check list for applicants) can help determine which applicants will do well in the specific program. 

Uncover the applicant's intention for enrolling in the program, is there a intention to "stay" and "persevere" in order to reach the goal... no matter what?

The more the prospective students knows, understands, and feels comfortable with the school, the course structure, the education process... the more informed they are the more likely to succeed. 

I've learned that retention starts as early as the admissions process. Conducting a checklist plus other methods such as interviews with school staff and students, previews of classwork and presentations, and asking questions to the applicant are all ways of determining a person is more likely to finish or drop out of the course.

I have leanred how important it is to provide the students with thorough and clear information during the admissions process, which may have a significant effect on student retention down the line. This is not only important for the Admissions Departments, but also for students to ensure they are making the right choice for themselves and setting themselvse up for success in the program of their choosing. 

I feel  the more a student feels comfortable in the admissions process allowing for a clear and open line of communication between student and administrators will allow for the students responsibilities to thier selfs and piers and will have a positive effect on student retention over the education process of the student.

I have learned that it is better to take your time interviewing a student to know what it is they want to do and to find out the WHY.

Take the time to ask relevant questions. Let the applicant experience as much as they can about the program they are applying for. Remove anxiety & discuss potential obstacles before the student enrolls. Never pressure an applicant to enroll.

I learned that retention starts with the first phone call from addmissions.  It is helpful to be open about potential obstacles the students may face so that students can make an informed decision about enrollment.

I learned that retention efforts start from the admission process, the more information that you can gain from an applicant the better understadning you can have on how to retain them. 

making sure the potential student completely understands the program they are enrolling in

I love the self check or assessment. It helps the student understand more about the field and helps the Admissiosn team determine what type of interview to give. 

I have learned that it is imperative to a student's success that the admissions advisor take their time with the student, as this is when the student sets the determination of whether they will do anything to graduate and complete their program.

It is crucial that the students have more hands-on experiencess and have several visits to the school. Pre-experiencing the school will help reduce the students anxiety attached to starting school.

In my admissions mind; on campus stitch in events (Career Service Workshop, Orientation, Etc.), moodle orientation, in person campus tours

This section really drives home the fact that none of our departments can be successful without the others. We really need to continually push for cross-functional partnering between departments throughout each Campus. I cannot create, manage, or have a successful Career Services Department without the buy-in and support of Admissions, Education, and Financial Aid. On the contrary, they also cannot be as successful with out my buy-in or support.

In every organization I have worked for, there is a clear divide between departments. What I have seen is one department stating they are working the hardest while everyone else gets attention...so on and so forth. This is never fully true though, we just need to remain aware of each departments hurdles and do what we can to assist which will eventually come back around in our favor!

I intend to use this information to maintain awareness of elements within my campus that are impacting our student retention in hopes to help fill gaps and improve the retention.

I have learned that retenition is initiated during the start of the admissions process. The number of visits the prospective student makes to the campus, their plan on being in school while balancing other responsibilities, and other factors all contrubute to their potential success in the program. While I do not work in my campus' admissions department, I will welcome meeting prospective students when I get the opportunity when they tour our campus as a positive aspect of their admissions experience.

I feel that if you use a questionairre or checklist you can have a better retention rate of students before enrolling. Outcomes and success of student and schhol depend on admissions.

Not applying the checklist can take you to offer the wrong program to one student which may end in decertation afterwards. Is is important to have it clear that retention starts in the admissions process. 

Sign In to comment