Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned that the admissions process is important. The more prospective students get to experience being in the school, the better. This includes tours, classroom sessions, and hands-on experiences. We were able to implement Preorientation with our students and noticed a difference. Additionally, creating a profile of the qualities of successful students can help admissions identify strong candidates who can be successful in the program. Collecting this data can be helpful for the students and the admissions team to address questions and concerns. Moving forward, I think we will create a set schedule for Preorientations and possibly information sessions. Collaborating with faculty and graduates to learn the core traits of a successful student will also be important moving forward.

Comment on Jennifer Castillo's post: When do you take the time to interview?

A checklist and/or questionnaire helps Admissions customize the interview process and allows the candidate to decide whether their program of interest is a true lifestyle and career fit from the outset. I absolutely agree that retention begins in Admissions. When the program of interest is the right one a prospective student's interest and commitment will grow as they learn and experience more about their new profession. When we begin with the end in mind, specifically graduation and employment, students remain more resilient throughout the inevitable ups and downs of their academic program. 

I have learned that retention starts during the admissions process. I have also learned that if a student has more exposure to the school, staff, hands-on experience, and school catalog, they will have a better understanding of the school expectations. They will also have a self-assessment whether the school is the right choice for them to pursue. 

Sign In to comment