Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Melissa,

I am very interested in how your department is structured. Are you specifically student advocates and persistence or are there other responsibilities as well?

Susan Backofen

Richard,

How do you introduce the students to each other? Are there specific exercises you utilize to do this?

Susan Backofen

Dewayne,

I agree and also applaud you for doing the same. This exercise tends to make everyone in the room more 'human' and take some of the stress away.

Susan Backofen

I find that the importance of being "available" for adult students to make a connection with me ,as their instructor, helps them make the positive choice to continue to come to school. They need a human connection to be reassurred they have made the right decision to be there. I do this by staying in the classroom during breaks and after class to be easily approachable for open communication. The positive result for me as their instructor is that I have knowledge about their learning personality and can guide them accordingly during class time.

First time I meet with students I share my experiences ( bio) about myself , I also give them my information first day so I'm more accessible to them in case they might need any help or questions , and then I have them give me their intros and discuss what brings them to the school .

I emphasize that out-of-class communication is essential; this is highlighted in a contact for success which each student signs. I also use icebreakers and remind the students that I can empathize with them as students, since I was one also.

Amy,

You are absolutely correct! Kudos for your efforts to be available and encouraging!

Susan Backofen

karla,

That is wonderful that you share your story...this makes instructors much more approachable to students.

Susan Backofen

Stephan,

It certainly sounds like you make every effort to reach out and encourage your students. What is your Contact for Success?

Susan Backofen

Since I do not truly interact with students until their externship, I give them contact information, explanation of the process, explain I am available anytime before the externship, that there is a bulletin board on the externship outside student lounge, that I am available anytime - and the best way to connect with me.

During that first day, usually a Saturday before classes begin on Monday of a Block, we try and give them the biggest picture possible. We introduce them to staff, we give them a tour of the facility, we have them meet with faculty in large groups so the faculty member can give them a more intimate picture and answer questions in a smaller setting, we show them how to wear the uniform, we do as much AS POSSIBLE TO ALLEVIATE ANY ANXIETIES. Then we do the same on the first day of class.

We have a student ladership group that is at Orientation. They are a varied group of ages, ethnicities, backgrounds. They talk about what their experience has been like on our campus, and they talk about what a person can do to be successful here.

In our orientations we address student fears by having currently enrolled students come to Orientation and talk about their experiences. We want the students who talk to the new students to be able to confidently talk to people and those who have had successes and struggles at the school. They are able to address concerns they had when they started. We use students who are very open to talking and who are not afraid to talk to people. The students are the best ones to talk about the experience at the Campus! We also have the students provide solutions to issues they have had. They encourage the new students to talk to them once they start or talk to their teachers and managers when they have concerns. This instills confidence in the new students!

My availiability to help resolve any issues a student may have. I also feel it is important to let a student know and have experienced many of the fears they may have. This creates a mutually respectful atmosphere.

Mary,

It sounds like your leadership group is made up of students? If so, how are they chosen and what other things do they assist with?

Susan Backofen

Katie,

Wonderful! You are absolutely correct, students are the best spokespeople and other students can relate.

Susan Backofen

Dennis,

Agreed. Being approachable and letting them know that they are not the only ones who have experienced these feelings..and 'survived' is very helpful.

Susan Backofen

I tell stories of my trials and failures in life to try to relieve some of the stress of the first day. I have a great story of my life as a career changing student. I embellish a bit, but after the class stops laughing, I bring them back and relate my sucess and moreso as their instructor to their learning environment.

Luke,

Excellent! There is nothing like a testimonial, especially about yourself, to break the ice and inspire the class. Kudos!

Susan Backofen

Fear comes in many forms and when you have students that seek a career changing opportunity one of the biggest fear is the fear of failing. The ideals of study hard and you will achieve takes on a different meaning when you consider that a language barrier is high on your list. Our classes are taught in English in accordance to our mission and our charter. But in order to assist our students many of our faculty are bi and in some cases tri-lingual. We teach in English and if needed talk to the students in their native tongue in order to achieve the understanding needed to complete the task or skill-set.

Sign In to comment