Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students fears are apart of their reality although we may see them as a fallacy. It is important to implement discussions that allow them to see that other people share the same fears at one point.

On day 1 of class I try to assure studens if they come to class every day and particapate they cannot fail.

Jessica--

These are excellent techniques and yes, I agree that being so accessible in a variety of ways is encouraging and comforting to students. Great job!

Susan

Airaina--

Perception is reality as you point out. Something that is extremely overwhelming to one individual is a non-issue to another. We need to be sensitive to that an assist our students where they are 'at'.

Susan

I teach math foundations and college math. Students almost always have a fear of math and math classes. As an instructor I always like to let the students know that I am there for them. If they don't understand then it is my job to deliver the subject to them so that they can receive understanding. I try to make them feel confident in themselves and math. I spend time before and after class to have study sessions with them.

Students have fears and concerns regarding various issues, such as: their decision regarding enrollment in college,chosen fields and their ability to succeed in school,going on to achieve their dreams of having fulfilling careers.

These are well founded fears and should be addressed openly,positively and realistically,while providing support services,mentoring programs and success strategies,designed to achieve success.

Students should be encouraged to express and share their fears,as this alone fosters bonding, a sense of community,as well as opens up the path of benefiting from programs aimed at students success.

Students have fears and concerns regarding various issues, such as: their decision regarding enrollment in college,chosen fields and their ability to succeed in school,going on to achieve their dreams of having fulfilling careers.

These are well founded fears and should be addressed openly,positively and realistically.

Offering support services,mentoring programs and success strategies,designed to achieve success.

Students should be encouraged to express and share their fears,as this alone fosters bonding, a sense of community,as well as opens up the path of benefiting from programs aimed at students success.

I try to make sure that my students know that they can come to me with any concerns/fears. I also make myself available for one on one time. It can be a little scary for new students, being patient, and available is reassuring for them.

When I get a new class. I like to start out introducing myself and experience that I bring to the class that i'm teaching. I try to run a relaxed class. But still have class control at all times. Most students have fear of making a mistake I just assure them that they are here to learn and if you are going to make a mistake then make it here so I can show you what you did wrong and how to fix it...

Within the first week or two of the program, I offer to students a refresher course on study strategies and test-taking strategies. I do it in the form of giving them a test which has no familiar content to it, and yet there are ways to know which is the right answer. One hint: if a multiple choice answer says "all of the above", it is right more than 50% of the time. The strategy is to see if you can find any of the distractors to be false. If not, go ahead and pick "all of the above".

One thing that we recently started is to have the students wait in the student lounge, before the orientation. We use to have them wait in the lobby. Moving them to the student lounge allows them to feel like a real student. We also have some of our current students go in there to speak with them. Additionally, there are always more students in there for them to interact with. We also ask instructors, faculty and staff to stop by and say hello. We think it really helps get the students comfortable in their new setting and help ease their fears.

I work in the library, so I always stress to the students during their library orientation sessiions that my staff and I are here to help them. No question is a stupid question and we can answer those not directly related to a class.

I always let my students know that they are on a journey but it is a journey that we are making together. We also discuss what it takes to achieve "success" and many times students say a support system is something they need; my repsonse is always - "That's great - because as soon as you stepped through that door - you walked into an automatic support system." If students sense that you are with them side by side - they will make great strides.

I think that is great - teaching critical thinking is so important and sometimes that sense of victory when they figure it out is sooo meaningful to them.

I like to do a quick ice-breaking activity at the begining of a semester. Getting the students talking is key. Not only can I get to know them this way, but they also get to know each other and feel a bit more comfortable with each other.

During orientations we emphasise that the entire faculty, administrative and admissions department are always available for students and their concerns. We have instituted ride share clubs, peer tutoring, faculty mentoring and other forums that give our students a comfort level knowing that everyone at the school is actively engaged in their success and helping them, the student, achieve it.

Discussing my own experiences about entering into a Masters degree programm after being out of a formal educational environment for more than 25 years. I feel that this brings some sort of connection between myself and the students who may have some residual fears about returning to a formal school environment, especially after switching from a career that they may have been very proficient in

Joyce--

As a recovering 'math phobic', I can so appreciate your sensitivity to our plight and your patience and outreach to provide additional support. It is so important to have faculty like you who are willing to give that extra attention.

Susan

Charlotte--

Wonderful job! Students do need to know it is 'okay' to express and acknowledge their fears and concerns. Sometimes they are completely unfounded and other times they just needs encouragement and additional assistance. It is wonderful that you are so open to doing this!

Susan

Around the room introductions as an ice breaker so that each student can "see" why others are attending. Why they are coming to your school can also open the door for you to "forsee" any issues that may interfere with the education later. Students may also realize they have something in common with another which may reduce the first day stress.Open discussions to them about your background so they can see you are a real person reduces the "newbie" stress of not knowing anyone on the first few days. They develop a level of respect for you because you have been there and done that so you must know what you are talking about.

Sign In to comment