Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The program I work in is in the healthcare field. So, one of the most important things we try to do in orientation is to give them honest information on the expectations of the program. The program is very rigorous, and we want students to get a feel for the field they are going into. We provide demonstrations in our lab to allow the students to see some of the skills they will be learning. We have a Power Point presentation that is presented sharing expectations of the field itself. A question and answer period is conducted during and at the end of the presentation.

While I am not involved directly with orientation, I am an instructor in a course that is generally taken by students in their first quarter at our institution. On the very first day of class there are several things that I do to ease the students minds about feeling like they aren't going to "fit in" with their classmates. First, I use an icebreaker. I have all of the students introduce themselves, tell us why they chose this college, and tell one thing about them that is completely unique. Then we talk as a group about the things that make us a part of the same team. For instance, the fact that we are all motivated to be here starting a new chapter in our lives at the same time. :) I also make sure to give them all of the information they will need to contact me should they need anything or if they have questions. I have started including Facebook as a method of contact since it has become the preferred source of contact for many of our students. I've found that just by being friendly and approachable it really helps my relationship with my students.

Starting with new students, I share my bio and reason for my chosen profession, to keep the human factor involved. Then ask each student to share something about themselves. This can create common bonds on the first day of class

When the students come to my class they have already had the orientation for the school. My class is one of the first classes taken for their particular career path. Normally, for my first class, I like to do a "get to know each other" exercise where the students are given different quick activities to do and, depending on the outcome, they go to a group. They do this several times so they aren't always with the one or two people they know and aren't always in the same group. After that, I have them pick one person who they do not know and "interview" that person. They then introduce the interviewee to the class. I also tell them that I met two of my best friends at this school when I was a student. I have seen students who did not know anyone when they came into the classroom for the first time contacting other students to find out if they are OK because they are late for class.

First off, I greet each student as they enter the classroom to further make them feel at ease. I then have a meet and greet period wherein I start off by telling the students a few things about me and then I ask them to share a few things about themselves such as...their name, any personal info they would like to share, i.e., work history, marriage/children, theier major, whether they are the first family member to enroll in college, etc.

I always encourage them by telling them that in our classroom, we are like family, there are no wrong questions to be asked by a student and they do not have to fear being ridiculed in class.

I also ask them if they remember reading a book called The Little Engine That Could. I explain to them that in essence, the next 18 to 24 months might seem insurmountable, but day by day, week by week, month by month and semester by semester, each student can make it if they persevere.

I further encourage the students to motivate themselves by iterating and reiterating the words of the little engine...I think I can, I think I can...until...finally...graduation day has arrived.

I share my exp. and frustrations as an adult learner. I let them know that I understand that they have other more important obligations on a daily basis.

Our Career Services Dept. conducts the orientation however, the students get to meet with their program directors and discuss any concerns that the students may have. One thing that I do is ask students if they are on facebook and then I add them to the group I created. They seem very excited about it because they get to meet students that are not in their new classes.

Since most of the classes that I teach are in the computer field, many in intro to computers, most of the students have been exposed to computers, know some of what you can do with them, and many do not like working with computers. My task is to get them to understand that he computer is not smarter than they are and that the computer will do just what they tell it to do.

The rest of the time is in teaching the students just how to tell the computer what it is that they want. Like in the tale of the Sorcerer's Apprentice, what you ask for is not always what you want.

Icebreakers, intros of why you are here and what you is your program and area of interest, the "have you ever game", word association game to learn names of your peers, things we do are exercises that help them relate to their peers so they can realize that why they came to school is similiar to the reasons why other students came to school.

We start out by introducing ourselves and then have the students introduce themselves, tell us why they're here, and tell us their favorite music (we're an audio engineering school). Usually, when students get to their favorite type of music, others realize they have a lot in common and they chime in. This has proved to be a real ice breaker.

As the Student Services Coordinator, I let them know that my door is always open and I'm here for them, if they're having any issues or any doubts or concerns.

Anita--

I really like the 'who to contact' sheet; certainly a handy reference as they progress. It is wonderful that you have as many faculty participating in orientation as possible. I am sure this makes a huge, positive impact.

Susan

Jacqueline--

This sounds wonderful...you seem to have incorporated many different learning styles in to your orientation while also providing great information. Kudos!

Susan

Chris--

Great ideas! I especially love the inclusion of Facebook in student contact. I have seen admissions personnel use this effectively, but haven't heard of faculty reaching out in this manner. Do you have a separate account for work or use your personal one?

Susan

Dawn--

This sounds great! I especially like how you continually mix them up so they meet many different people rather than just one or two.

Susan

Kristi--

Sharing your own experiences and frustrations is a wonderful way to acknowledge their own fears and misgivings while showing them it is achievable. Kudos!

Susan

Desharla--

Wondeful use of the technology everyone is using! Facebook can be a great way for them to connect with you and each other...and former students.

Susan

I like to do it this way because I know how I am with people I don't know, especially a group. By nature, I am very shy and it takes me awhile to warm up to people. When we interview people we don't know, I think it gives us a bit of empowerment. We are learning something about that person and able to let the rest of the class know something about that person that only the interviewer knows. One thing that does seem to happen is when the interviewer shares what he/she has learned, many times the rest of the class gets involved by asking the interviewee more questions, so we learn even more about that person.

We use student orientation to help make students feel more at ease. Members of each department speak to the students in small groups, so by the time they start class they have met the director of their program, some of their instructors, are familiar with student services, and reviewed their financial aid. Admissions reps often stop by to introduce students to me before hand as well to help set them at ease. I then follow up by going into student success classes just to chat informally and answer any questions that might have come up as well.

Number one is tutoring and make-up. We have a (free) tutoring program that we make available to all our students and let them know that outside classroom hours, they can talk to their instructors if they need and/or require additional assistance especially in classes like Math. Other activities like group study also encourages them to buddy up with others in (& outside) their class doing assignments and other projects.

I actually bring out common issues I have learned through MaxKnowledge about student fears. I don't ask for a response but rather begin with "You may have returned to school for..." listing several reasons. I then discuss how college is different from High School. I also dispell some of the common myths or misconceptions they may have. I then tell them to take a deep breath and relax.

I also tell them some success stories of other students. I the future, I plan on bringing in students who have been successful and let them tell their story. I think this would be more meaningful than coming from a faculty member.

Sign In to comment