Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Having current students that have gone through the orientation is one way to address student fears. This way the students can see that they are not the only ones that have such fears and that they can be overcome. In doing this though a staff member, instructor or director, should also be in the room to answer questions that the student can not and to assure that accurate information is being given to new student.

We always have student functions on-going that involve the students in the school. We offer tutoring with each student, we call them when they are absent, we meet with them during mid-term to go over their grade and discuss and issues or concerns privately.

Devin,

This is a great idea...the personal interaction and opportunity to for students and faculty to meet each other prior to class is a great retention start.

Susan Backofen

Christi,

Setting expectations, as you state, does reduce anxiety. Helping students to know what is expected takes away the 'unknown' which is always worse than reality!

Susan Backofen

Doris,

Excellent point. As discussed, the older students feel at a disadvantage; and if the class is predominately non-traditional (older), then the younger ones are intimidated.

Susan Backofen

John,

I think that online students sometimes have a 'double whammy' of anxiety because they are also intimidated by the technology. Sounds like you have a good process for letting them know they are supported.

Susan Backofen

Devin,

Agreed! Sometimes current students, in an effort to be helpful, provide misinformation. It is an excellent way to encourage new students, however. They really related to current students.

Susan Backofen

In my algebra course I address areas that students should review before beginning the course. If they understand that some basic material should be reviewed it helps students in the entire course. An example is the understanding of integers. Although chapter one reviews this topic students usually need a head start in order to following the more difficult algebra steps and solutions.

It eases some of their fears because when they know what is expected, it helps them complete the assignments without that feeling of panic.

During our Student Orientation process, our students get the opportunity to meet and greet each program director and instructors. this get a bit if information from each program and at that time they are free to ask questions about said programs. I feel that is is a big help to them understanding the entier campus and programs that is offered.

Students usually attend an orientation program hosted by the enrollment reps..however I conduct a brief orientation for entry into my courses and what to expect from me as their instructor. I will ask them to write down five important things they expect from me. I will provide some fun introduction game, then a welcome , review classroom guidelines answer any questions the may have or need clarification on. I will briefly review the varies departments and the services they provide.

We have a Lab visit were students get an opportunity to try on surgical gowns,gloves,ppe's,mask, and head covering. they get a chance to handle surgical instruments and control the OR lights and bed. This allows them to ask any questions that they might have about the program and all the requirements. It is a fun day for them before classes start, and it ensures them that they made the right choice.

I focus on what I would want if I was in their shoes today. I like to tell them a little about myself and what it has done for my personal satisfaction and professional goals.

Theresa,

I agree! I am assuming that they get their text books prior to the first class so they can have materials to review?

Susan Backofen

Angela,

I think this is a great idea...communicating their expectations of you as an instructor.

Susan Backofen

charlene,

Excellent! This really gets them in to the feeling of being a student.

Susan Backofen

I teach dental orientation, so I have brand new students with many different ages and backgounds. What I like to do after explaining the expectations of the class and of program, I tell the students about myself and my background and ask each student to do the same. I think it calms every one and makes each individual realize there not the only ones that may be bringing extra distractions to school as well. It makes everyone feel closer and also have some supportive means here at school too!

Yes, Susan. The students have their books before they attend class.

I don't like them getting overwhelmed when my students first open the text before they come to class.

~Theresa

Our school does the same as well. It shows the student that we care about them

I am an adjunct instructor and teach only one class per term; however I have observed the campus where I teach includes the activities outlined in this lesson. I found it wonderful to see that this is implemented on the campus. I have heard my students comments and they appreciate the effort put out by the team on the campus.

A few activities included at orientation are bringing other students in as mentors to speak to prospective students; bring a friend to school day; open door policy for students to speak with the person they are comfortable with.

As an adjunct instructor, I have learned the value of having students understand the value of public speaking that will help them with presentation skills through well established programs like Toastmasters. I review the points I want students to pay attention to when giving presentations, provide them a topic and ask the other students to provide feedback on what they did well and I address areas to improve. This helps the students to see one another as a support system because they receive encouragement from each other.

Sign In to comment