Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Heather,

This sounds like a great program! Any time you can use current students and recent graduates shows specific examples of how the end goal is really attainable.

Susan Backofen

On the first day of class, I have students pair up and interview each other.
They include where the student is from, hobbies, what they are most looking forward to achieving with the program they are in, etc. After all interviews are completed, the interview shares the information they collected with the class. I then share information about myself with the class. It seems to be a great icebreaker.

Yes, it is a great way for the new students to feel there is an end to all this. The fear in starting a new program and being around a whole new group of people can be overwhelming.

Heather King

I start out by introducing myself and going over the reasons I am their teacher, i.e. my experience in my field including the fears and insecurities I had when I started out and a brief summary of how I learned to work on overcoming them.

I go on to let the students know that they will all have varying levels of experience in the area we will cover and that they will all have things that come naturally as well as things that are tough for them. I try to encourage them to focus on their strengths while not giving up on what doesn't come easily for them. I let them know that i am there to help them figure out ways to overcome these fears and make sure they have a way to contact me with questions, concerns, etc.

On the first day I introduce myself and tell the students about my first days as a college student. After my story I will include some information on myself and will include one strengths and one weakness, afterwards I would have all the students do the same.

I also attended the school that I currently teach at. I share my experiences with my new students and by doing this become relatable to them. I acknowledge many of the possible feears and obstacles and offer suggestions and resources.

My institution is very compartmentalized, and I have no idea what activities are going on in orientation. Mostly I think students are shown the campus, and encouraged to learn about all the services and resources available to them, and a lot is made of our career services department which works hard to help students develop the skills needed to find a job while we teach them how to do the work.

Darron,

I tried to do the same thing. During my initial classes I tell the students about my desire for education and the number of years that I have spent receiving my degrees. Many of the students are adult learners and sometimes believe that they just are unable to "cut it" but I have found that these are my better students. The adult learner is so inspirational to not only myself, but also to the other students because they care about their learning process.

I have asked my students to discuss why they decided to return to school and what their short-term and long-term goals are. Once they disclose this information, I ask them to remain focused on the long-term goals, but to place emphasis on their short-term reachable goals so that they will not be overwhelmed. I remind my classes that minor accomplishments will lead to their ultimate long-term goals.

Joseph,

It is always helpful for the students to hear personal examples from the faculty about their own experiences. It makes us more 'human' and acknowledges their fears. Great job.

Susan Backofen

Jennifer,

Sounds like a wonderful introduction! Providing them with suggestions and resources immediately helps them to feel like they have a support system readily available.

Susan Backofen

Dale,

It sounds like it would be a great opportunity to involve more of the campus in orientation.

Susan Backofen

Dawna,

Many of our adult students, as you point out, have a great deal to juggle while they are pursuing their education: employment, family, children, etc. They bring a great deal to the classroom, but also have a great deal on their mind. A little encouragement can go along with with all our students. Great job.

Susan Backofen

Many of the students are concerned about the practical "hands-on" portion of the course. Though they do very well during this particular segment. Alot has to do with them putting additional pressure onto themselves to excel and get it 'right' the first time.

I always like to reiterate that we are all here to learn and that with continual practice creates perfection, this seems to relieve some of that pressure they tend to give to themselves and I also like to give positive feedback on what they do well and offer suggestions on what can improve. I also engage the other students to participate and give credit to one another on how well they are doing during these segments.

Luz,

Reinforcing that your classroom is a learning 'lab' for everyone is an important point. For whatever reason, students feel like they should already know the material...or that everyone else does.

Susan Backofen

Students start out with an icebreaker game that proves to them there are students in the room who are "just like them". Other new students with similar interests, have been to similar places, have similar pets, have the same number of siblings, have been out of school for the same amount of time, etc.

The diverse campus leadership team is introduced, so students can identify campus leaders who are "just like them".

As Student Services Manager, my department's role in addressing student fears at orientation is to provide a kind person who is to be the student's advocate as they work through their program of study. We present resources available to assist students with common speedbumps students experience along the way and remind students that we are here to assist them with anything that may be needed.

We have stations that the new student must visit during our orientations.We try to introduce the new student to as many of his/her classmates as we can during this time in such a manner that the new student can realize that the other new students in most cases share the same fears and apprehensions as they begin their program of choice.

At the beginning of each quarter, I normally introduce myself to my students by communicating to them my professional experience, education level, and hobbies. I also require them to do the same.

This technique appears to relax the students and creates an environment that is conducive to learning.

Lee,

Sounds like fun! You indicate the campus leadership attends, do faculty as well?

Susan Backofen

Sign In to comment