Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

When I give the orientation for the Library, usually the first week or so of the start of the quarter,I can tell some of the students are shy about using the Library. I tell them they are welcome to come and ask any question of me and if I do not know the answer then I will find it out. Any question, about anything; such as, "Where is my classroon". I assure them that I will always help them, and no question is too silly to ask.

One of the things that I do in our new student orientation to help ease students fears, is have a current student and a graduate come in and talk to the class. I have found that it really helps when the students hear from other peers about obstacles they have faced or fears that they had going back into school or a particular class. I think it also helps to let the students know of the services we have to help them from the very beginning such as tutoring, mentoring, and counseling.

One of the most important activities in orientation is to answer questions. Another would be to make sure the students are able to meet all the key people in the school. If everyone is friendly and make themselves avaialable it will go a long way to address in student fears.

Usually when I first meet new students, I let them know that I'm here to help them. I make sure to let students know communication is key,and that if anytime they have a problem in class or even some with personal issues, I'm here to help in any way I can. I believe by letting students know that they have an instructor they can depend on and genuinely cares about what they are trying to accomplish, they are more open to the learning experience.

Our students meet and greet almost everyone they will come into contact with during their program. Then they proceed to several offices in the same area to take care any last minute details. Finaly, they get to see who thier classmates are before they return back to the same room where they had some chips and drinks.

Hi Susan,

The three primary student fears seem to whether they can afford to be in college (not just in terms of money, but time and other factors), whether they will fit in, and whether they are smart enough. By the time students reach orientation, they have decided -- for the moment, at least! -- they they can overcome that first fear. Just by attending orientation and meeting other classmates, they can start to overcome the second fear by seeing that there are a lot of students just like them, and that they can fit in. We work on the third fear during orientation by showing them what they can do and how we will help them to succeed. Calling it "grad prep" instead of orientation is an example of how we help them visualize success.

I have taken the very same courses that they are enrolling in. I know how they feel and assure they will do great in the program.

At our college, we offer tutoring by fellow students and paid tutors. This practice seems less intimidating when taught by someone who has actually taken the particular class.

Our career development class helps build confidence in sticking with their goals.This class orients them into beginning this goal. They learn about help available to them here. There is also usually a guest speaker that has recently graduated to speak the value of the education received.

Heather King

I talk about my struggles and how I overcame

Lynn ,

Excellent! I don't think we give enough importance to test-taking skills. That said, we clearly want them to actually know the material as well :)

Susan Backofen

Sarah,

This is a great idea! It sounds so simple, but I don't think I've heard of many schools doing this--makes perfect sense!

Susan Backofen

Linda,

Excellent points. I don't think students generally feel that the library staff is really there for assistance--for some reason we all feel we are already supposed to know how to find everything!

Susan Backofen

David,

This is wonderful! And it goes back to students feeling like everyone else is going to know more/do better than they will. So having them think of each other as support is very important, and knowing the instructor is there as well adds to their confidence.

Susan Backofen

Jennifer,

...and also realize the they aren't the only one with questions, concerns and fears. Letting them get to know each other in this manner is so important!

Susan Backofen

Darron,

Excellent! It certainly sounds like you are very sensitive to student needs in and out of the classroom. Great job.

Susan Backofen

Donna,

This is great--library staff can be helpful in many ways, and students often will express things here that they won't to other departments. I am glad to see your staff so sensitive and responsive. Great job!

Susan Backofen

Stephanie,

Wonderful! I always like having current students and graduates speak to new students. It holds so much more credibility and the students relate to each other in a way we can't really imagine.

Susan Backofen

Joshua,

Great perspective on the role of orientation--answering their questions. We tend to think of this primarily as our way to fill their heads with all our rules and policies. Keeping the focus on them and their questions is a great paradigm shift!

Susan Backofen

darilyn ,

Sounds like a great agenda. What type of things to do you do when they meet their classmates?

Susan Backofen

Diane,

It is always helpful to remind them you have been where they are now--and it sounds like you REALLY have been in their shoes. That's a plus!

Susan Backofen

Sign In to comment