Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I always start by introducing myself and letting them know what they will expect throughout their experience. I make sure to include many positive points but I also have to include any negative experiences they may encounter, and ensure them that they have hep and support during these tough times.

Kelsey,

This sounds great! What role would the mentors play that is different from the ambassadors? I really like having the ambassadors meet with the new students. Do they do this one-on-one or as a group?

Susan Backofen

I dont do orientations

I teach

They are oriented by the time they get to me

Why Am I answering this?

We hold open house events for new and prospective students. On the first day of class I talk about my background, I write on the board "Expectations and ask the students what they expect from the class and myself. I in turn write my expectations of them. I have someone write them down and at the end of the term we evaluate where I stood and they stood.

We do many of the things discussed above. We also address the unique natur of the culinary industry and introduce the use of "Chef" to the students. Making them speak, by practicing some simple responses "Yes, Chef. No, Chef", they seem to relax a bit and engage a little more. I think it also helps them realize they are all in it together.

I would say that I do more of a discussion towards this, I explain that the only way to overcome ones fears is to take them head on to show them that there could always be a better outcome.

One big fear that students have is the fear of failing. I address this fear at the start of each term, by explaining that every student who is willing to work hard, and do what it takes can pass this term. I explain that tutoring is available for every student that needs help, and it is as simple as asking for assistance.

I tell stories of my trials and errors in life to try to relieve some of the stress of the first day. I have a great story of my life as a career changing student. I embellish a bit, but after the class stops laughing, I bring them back and relate my success as their instructor to their learning environment.

As instructors we aren't involved in the orientation of new students. I know they are promised that there is free tutoring available. We keep that promise and I have even come in on the weekends.

As instructors we aren't involved in the orientation of new students. I know they are promised that there is free tutoring available. We keep that promise and I have even come in on the weekends.

Arturo,

I think this also provides them with a sense of professionalism, letting them know that they are pursuing a profession, not a job.

Susan Backofen

David,

These stories can do a great deal to encourage students...letting them know that others have succeeded in similar circumstances.

Susan Backofen

In our facility we make students work with a different student each time to help the become more social and open to working with others without feeling awkward.

we divide the orientation process into two different sessions. The fisrt one, Pre-orientation, includes a demonstration of the same caliber of the ones they will have when in class. students feel welcome and we try to brake the ice and fears they may have. During the second session, orientation, their questions are addressed, all of the differenet departments are introduced, and the students have a chance to ask questions to their upcoming instructors. the Pre-orientation and Orientation are both host in English and Spanish to give everybody the chance to participate.

Currently the design of our new student orientation allows students to meet faculty and discuss the requirements of the programs. Once students have met in a large group they will have breakout sessions. This is the time new students will be introduced to current students. The student groups include student ambassadors, student clubs and club officers. Once the students have had time to meet with other students, the students will meet with program managers. This time is spent going over the expectations of the program as well as a face to face question and answer period for students to understand who they are to contact when they are in need of anything. Students are also encouraged to join clubs and network with other students.

We start orientation with greeting the students at the front door of the college to make them feel welcome. We then have current students guide the new students to the student lounge for breakfast or lunch. In the lounge students will meet faculty and staff. Next students will meet in one large group to be introduced formally to the Director of Education, Program Directors and faculty. The director of freshman studies warms up the students with a few quick memory games. The students are then divided into small groups for most of the orientation. In the breakout sessions students learn who to connect with and how to join clubs.

daniel,

I really like this idea! It gets everyone involved and interacting.

Susan Backofen

Nelson ,

I like how you have broken this down in two sections...and put the interactive one first! What level of attendance do you get for both?

Susan Backofen

Bonita,

This sounds absolutely wonderful! I love how you plan significant interaction with your current students.

Susan Backofen

Sign In to comment