Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The orientation program is designed to support new students as they begin their journey at the institution, the first days of your classes experience will be guided by orientation leaders who will answer all questions and doubts among new students, They are returning students, instructors and personnel who are committed to helping new students make a smooth transition into the institution . From the moment the student arrive to the institution they’ll be there to help.

Arthur,

This is wonderful! Glad to see that you are accommodating ESL students in order to acclimate them to English as well as support their learning in their native tongue.

Susan Backofen

May,

I love that you are utilizing returning students to assist with incoming ones...there is much credibility gained by this.

Susan Backofen

I assure my students that I am very easy to reach by giving them my cell phone for calls or texts, school e-mail, messaging through engrade, and I have a student facebook account. I also let them know that I will return all calls, messages, etc.

spill out sessions where new students can talk to instructors, and get to know them before the first day of class.

Jill,

Wow! I am very impressed you provide your cell phone! Interesting also you have set up a Facebook specifically for this. I hear that many students do take advantage of that communication option. Is that also your experience?

Susan Backofen

I address fear of failure during daily practical work by reinforcing the concept that our goal is to learn - not be perfect on the first try.

June ,

Excellent! That is so true, but we have difficulty maintaining that perspective.

Susan Backofen

We first open Orientation with having everyone introduce themselves and tell us why they are here. We want them to get comfortable with each other.

As far as activities in Orienatation, we really don't have any others. We do have a raffle at the end. We throw out questions regarding policies and procedures and give a way prizes.

I use to put a radio on and come in dancing..and we have a kick out of it..but as time goes by. Do lot of smiling and then comes the interaction of everyone. I want to know who they are, by giving me his or her "hellos" and what made student come to our school. I love for them to show me his or her family picturs if its on them...and let the students know this is their "support group"

I am the Program Director at a college that caters to adult learners. I start off every new group by introducing myself, telling them my background and story, giving them a tour to my office (so they know where to find me) and then have them introduce themselves and tell a fear they have about the program which I try to diminsh. I try to add stories of past classes so that they know that they are not alone and that other people have had the same fears and have been in their shoes before. i then try to check in with them weekly to make sure everything is going smoothly.

Addressing student fears is a large part of my job, as 75% of my students are over the age of 35. They all think that they are the oldest person in the program. I assure them that they are not, and let them know that many of the students who go here are looking into starting their second career, not their first. The first set of classes in our program are computer classes, so those who are less technologically savvy can be brought up to speed. Reminding them that we schedule classes this way to reassure that they are all on the same page helps significantly reduce the students' fears.

I use a similar method. During their first week of class, I remind my students that I have some who call me weekly to discuss everything from the classwork to their crazy kids. This puts them at ease, because then they believe that anything they say will be less weird than that.

Patricia,

This sounds like you set a wonderful, open and fun atmosphere in your class. Awesome!

Susan Backofen

Heather,

This sounds wonderful. You seem to do a great job of putting them at ease, and I especially like the idea that you purposefully show them your office. Very inviting.

Susan Backofen

Ashley,

Excellent! Sounds like you do a wonderful job of making them at ease.

Susan Backofen

Ashley,

That's great that you empower them to reach out to you on many levels. Kudos!

Susan Backofen

Many students fear the subject I am teaching, microbiology. I discuss my study groups with them right at the start. I am offering study groups out of class for students who need extra help. I discuss how much my previous students liked the interaction on a smaller basis. I also ensure them that I will find additional time out of class if needed, if the study groups are not enough.

I, as an instructor, am participating in the student orientation. I believe that an introduction of an instructor, with a welcoming warm greeting can address student fear right from the start. They see me, they hear my voice, they have a picture. I would say I am a warm-, welcoming-, even funny at times-instructor.

When a student mentions being afraid, we talk about it. I encourage him/her to take small steps to overcome their fears. I am less inclined tempted to remove a task or project because it scares a student, rather I encourage them that they can handle it. I try to emphasize taking small steps. There is no head to charge at full speed ahead all of the time, but rather take careful, well-paced steps. I tell them and show them how to face fears. Together we try to create a plan to overcome their fear by tackling it head-on. The plans involve both conversations and actions directed squarely at their fear instead of running from them. I hope to promote retention this way. A few words of encouragement along the way helps to reassure and stabilize student confidence and build better professional relationships.

Sign In to comment