Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dawn--

I agree...it is much more comfortable to introduce yourself to one person rather than a group. And, having that person then talk about you to the group is less intimidating. It is wonderful that often the rest of the class is then curious enough to ask even more questions.

Susan

David--

Awesome! Addresing those fears up front, discussing them and 'proving' they can be overcome (via your successful student stories) is a wonderful way to get student to relax.

Susan

I have my students share what they expect from the class and what fears they may have concerning the subject matter. This gives the students the opportunity to vent and more importantly, it helps me to address concerns and taylor the information to meet the needs of the students so that they will succeed and learn.

Our biggest activity for addressing student fears is to do an "ice breaker" at the very beginning of orientation. We give the students a few minutes to talk to the student sitting next to them and let them know that we expect them to be able to introduce that student when the time is up. This method significantly reduces the nervousness many new students face when meeting new people. Also, since our school is a commuter college, many people find out from the beginning various options for carpools, opening up even more topics for discussion.

I agree, all students have fears and compare themselves to other students. I like giving them a 5 min time frame and they have to talk to as many students as possible and find out at least 3 things. Then we will discuss and compare the data.

As a general studies faculty member, I tend to receive students when they are first enrolled in the school. I realize how important a positive attitude and strong motivational techniques are to adult students.

On the first day of class I typically tell students about my experiences as a student...such as having horrible test anxiety and the feelings of not fitting in with my peers. I give true, anecdotal stories illustrating the point. The laughter helps break the ice. In addition, many of my students come up to me saying how it's inspiring to see someone succeed with similar issues they are facing.

Additionally, I constantly give them test taking strategies since test taking seems to cause the most anxiety in my students. I remind them of these strategies as well as provide them with a positive affirmation right before I administer their tests.

I run a massage department. The first fear I have to deal with is one of physical contact. The students worry about having to remove clothes and let other people touch them. I include a rather embarrassing story from my time in massage school to break the ice, but then I explain how it couldn't happen here. I can leverage that into explaining how our curriculum is designed around what the students need, and how the entire school is designed to help them both in the classroom and out (FA, Career Svces, etc). Relatable examples and honesty seem to be the key.
The second fear is about the science classes. I always explain the Massage faculty qualifications, and how we cater to different learning styles. The students respond to being treated like adults. When I talk about how much easier it is to learn by adding in hands-on components, they all nod. I want to come across less as aDepartment Chair and more as a resource.

I have students introduce themselves and look fro common ground as to why they are here. Thne I have the student tell me what they want from this class and how will it help then find a better job or even find employment. I tell them the student is first in my classes and we work as a team in the trip.

I have assured my students that should they have any problems whether personal or academic they can feel free to discuss them with me and we will work together to address them. Some students who are shy and insecure in the classroom might feel more at ease when talking one on one or face to face.

At the Fayetteville Campus all of our new students are required to attend new student orientation, at which time students are introduced to representatives within each department, include Student Services. As the Director of Student Services, I usually take a couple minutes to discuss challenges associated with making any life transition and/or change, and I emphasize that this is NORMAL, rather than a sign they shouldn't move forward in school. Academically, I encourage them to feel the fear, but prepare and do it anyway, as opposed to abandon their career plans.

You can go back and re-inforce any subject that is a pre-requisite for that particular course. An example would be coding. It would help to give a medical term quiz prior to starting the class and explain to them how essential medical terminology knowledge as it relate to coding.

Jane--

This sounds like a very effective methodology. I really like that you allow the students to express their fears about the subject matter; it is an opportunity to reinforce that they are taking the class to learn it...and are not expected to know it already!

Susan

Katelynn--

Excellent! As you point out, this allows them to begin building that peer support group as well, which is a very important part of achieving their goals. Great job!

Susan

Kristin--

You certainly sound like the ideal first-term instructor! Providing students with your personal story and addressing test taking strategies is an excellent way to acclimate them to the academic environment and provide them with support. Great job

Susan

David--

It certainly sounds like you make every effort to address those fears up front...and telling stories 'on yourself' helps put them at ease. Great job!

Susan

Wagner--

Sounds like you do an excellent job of addressing their fears and providing them reassurance they are not on this journey alone. Great job!

Susan

Carolyn--

You are absolutely correct. Students have different comfort levels in their communication options. Face-to-face is always ideal because you get to read the non-verbal cues as well. That said, I have found an increasing number of students who prefer electronic communication because it is much less threatening.

Susan

Agnes--

Excellent advice and information that I'm sure they are surprised to hear. While students all have these feelings sooner or later, it is rare that we acknowledge that. Great job!

Susan

I allow my students to come in early and work with me one on one and show them different techniques to use while in class with other students

Susan,

During orientation, I make sure that my students understand the importance of respect. I like a lot of class participation, but students are hesitant to participate in class unless they feel like it's a "safe" atmosphere--their peers aren't going to laugh at the way they talk, ridicule their mispronounciation of words, or comment on them asking a "dumb" question. I hold respect in the highest regard, and I require my students to do the same as well. Also, I give a blow-by-blow outline of what the students can expect of me and what I can expect of them. Not only do I highlight the course objectives, but I go over the work that I expected to be completed througout the course. So that this will not overwhelm the students, I make myself accessible. I inform my students of my office hours and make myself accessible even when I'm not at school--via email, phone, and Facebook. It's very ameliorating to a student to know that their instructor is accessible and a willing resource.

Sign In to comment