Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We bring current senior students into the new student orientation meeting, and encourage the new students to ask our seniors questions about their experience at our campus. We also invite members from our campus clubs to talk about their club activities, so the new students get a sense of the campus community, and can make a connection. The new students can also enroll in the clubs at orientation.

Wendy,

I agree! It always helps to know there are other people in the class feeling or experiencing the same things.

Susan Backofen

Sharon,

Love the club discussions! It is always good to provide information on how students can get involved outside of class.

Susan Backofen

We let our students know that we've had thousands of graduates in our halls with the same issues they have right now so they know they're not alone. We have community resource booklets we hand out. We have current students come in and talk about class, homework, their issues/problems and how they overcame them (most of the time through communication with the staff and utilizing resources we gave them.)

when I am orienting students to my class, I help reduce thier fears by taking the time to explain the course, expectations and what they can expect from me, I also allow time to answer thier questions

Jim ,

I really like the community resource book. These are so handy and helpful to students. They can be cumbersome to keep updated, but it is well worth the effort.

Susan Backofen

I go over what is expected from the student. What fears and feelings will be normal and abnormal.

When Having orientation we try to reassure every student that they have made the right choice, and that they are making the best decision for them and their family. We also allow other graduates to speak and give motivation for the new coming students.

We conduct an ice breaker activity where we pair students up, leave them to sit for a few minutes, and then have them present a few facts on each other.We do this to establish an automatic sense of comfort & lessen the "fear of the unknown". Creates a great space for the first day of class.

The heads of different departments within the school address the new students as part of our orientation and take time to answer any questions the new students might have. In addition students receive their uniform and a parking pass during the orientation which seems to help them feel like they are part of the student body and ready to be accepted when they arrive for the first day of class.

I spend about an hour on the first day of my class explaining to my students what's expected of them, and how I'm going to help them meet those expectations.

My particular class is graduate level. At this time in their school career they are nearing graduation and the fears of finding a job in the industry really come out. Now with an age range of student from 18 to 65, it becomes quite a challenge allieviating their concerns, especially the expierenced learner age range. My discussion begins with my own expierence in the field and what i have seen work. I reiterate that each age range group has its own unique qualities that an employer can use. It is done from the 'customer' perspective and who the customer would prefer to work with. In our industry the customers would prefer to deal with someone within their own age range and life expierence.

The orientations happen during in-service for faculty and a section of the training day is set aside for the faculty to meet the new students.
During the introduction session students get to meet their teachers, talk to them ask questions and see that the teachers are equally excited about having them in their class as the students are.
The school also has an ambassador program and during orientation student ambassadors volenteer to help with orientation chores which gives new students a great opportunity to see these students and talk to them

I address student fears by acknowledging that their fears are real.

Coming back to school, accepting the call to assist with life and death, juggling home life with school life, managing time for studies, etc… These are real concerns that bring about real fears. HOWEVER, we as a Concorde family are present to assist. To guide down the avenues of fear until the they reach the avenue of confidence.

Nutshell- acknowledging that the fears are real and they should have some fears…New territory called healthcare.

Sara,

I really like this exercise. It is much easier

Susan Backofen

Dale,

What an interesting situation! Certainly sounds like you are doing a great job of helping transition them to the work world.

Susan Backofen

Anjali,

I love that you include the faculty/student interaction as part of orientation and the faculty in-service. What a great way to combine two important functions!

Susan Backofen

Yolanda,

You are absolutely correct. Acknowledging their fears as 'real' makes a huge difference.

Susan Backofen

We take some time for the faculty to meet the new students and feel a little more familiar with who will be instructing them. As part of this I like to share my professional background but also something like a favorite hobby or something of a more personal nature that might put students more at ease and help them to see me as a person who is approachable and not just an instructor.

One thing we are implementing is having peer tutors pairing up new students with our student ambassadors. We are also having our student ambassadors meet with new students each term to welcome the new classmates.

Sign In to comment