Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

During our orientation, each instructor from each course within that program indtroduces themselves and goes over the syllabus with the students. The instructor also talks about his or her background, education and experience. Then there is time for questions and answers. This will hopefully allay any fears that the students have and also they feel more comfortable with asking the individuals instuctors questions regarding their studies.

Before Orientation begins, students are asked about any barriers they perceive could hinder their completion of the program. These questions are addressed at Orientation by admissions, student services staff and some faculty.

I recieve my students after they have recieved their orientations. I do orientate them within the classroom to the term, students, my objectives and theirs. I also remind them that at any time they should feal free to ask questions, before class, during breaks, and lab also by e-mail and after class as needed. I think this gives them the security that they feel they need.

During orientation, the students services in conjunction with administration and members of faculty are involved to promote the instiution.
Students get the first chance to meet and mingle with future classmates arroud snacks and refreshments; they find confort in the positive culture that they are exposed to. They get to listen to experiences of current and alumni of the intitution.

I am aware of the fear factor that some students may have "built in" with respect to certains disciplines. Students generally are more tolerant to experiments, hands-on activities, than abstract concepts.
As a chemistry teacher, I am lucky to be able to demontarate some theorital concepts in my classroom.

In addition to introducing all of the program faculty and trying to let them know that we are really people and are interested in helping them, we go through the portal, how to use it, how to post, etc. to try to alleviate the fear of the online component of the program. We also introduce one of our senior students and let them assure the newbies that the faculty, staff, and older students are there to make sure they have all the tools they need to be successful.

Travia,

Excellent~! Spending time individually with the students to get to know them is a very strong signal that you care about their success.

Susan Backofen

Betina,

Wonderful! Do you utilize the information about learning styles in your classroom?....presenting information differently to accommodate those styles?

Susan Backofen

Dayton,

As you point out, some of the 'other' things (like using the portal and mechanics of an online course) are important and can be significant frustration points for new students. Good job!

Susan Backofen

Setting up expectations clearly alleviates lot of anxiety quickly.
Being there for students for little things even for first couple of weeks makes them comfortable earlier and help them perform better.

Meeting with the core program director and faculty.

Filling out a short for with their reasons for enrolling, concerns and support network (making these items "black and white" to help them begin to think through the process, help instructors ID areas to pre-emptively assist and items that may be motivating for those tough times)

Individual, as well as group, orientation to get a more personal understanding of the student and welcome them

I like to address the fact that students whether older or younger returning back to school will all learn at the same pace and the same wonderful oppurtunities await all students no matter the age.

I allow all of my students to open up and verbalize why they chose their program and what stopped them from enrolling sooner. Most of the time, the students will admit to fear of failure or finacial hardships.

We address student fears regarding academic success by orienting students to all the resources available on campus to assist them in succeeding such as tutoring and library resources.

Helping a student overcome their fears is a big part of the retention process. I try to treat each student as an individual. Sometimes we realign our groups with individuals that feel more comfortable together. I try to use empathy with my students and put myself in their shoes. I try to explain to them my beginnings to make them more comfortable also and that I, too, came through an online degree program to reach my dreams.

At our institution we have current and former students speak to the new students at orientation. In my speech to the new students, I emphasize my office hours and the lab instructor's desire to help students when they are having difficulty with labs.

Have them meet other students who are in the higher classes that have been in the same situation as they are in now.

We have an open door policy that allows students to come in and discuss their issues. We contact the students if they do not show up for class. We want them to feel that we are concerned about them and we convey that idea.

Non specfically; not really in play

I am new to our campus and have not been here for an orientation yet. However, the first day of class for the term I had all the instructors come and help hand out books to the students. In doing this the students were able to meet all of the nursing instructors, ask any questions, and for the faculty to each speak with them to give them insite into the next 12 months. This way the students knew all the instructors and would know who else to go to in case I was not available to them.

Sign In to comment