Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have learned the importance of protecting students' privacy, and also granting them access to their educational records.

I thought that a fine was always imposed for violations. Todday, I learned that is not always the case. 

The main takeaways are the basic  components of FERPA, the students rights, and key concepts and definitions to better understand teh scope of the law. 

An institution has 45 days to provide records to a students request. 

The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 protects rights of the students records by allowing students to:

1.) Inspect/ review

2.) Request amendmant

3.) Request hearing if amendament is denied

4.) Not disclosure directory information

5.) File complaint

The institution has 45 days to comply with request to see student records.

It is super important to secure a student's educational information.  

Faculty has a duty to protect their students' privacy and should be held acountable 

I had never heard of FERPA beforehand. This was a good introduction to the topic. It is important to know this well to make sure we are giving student fair and appropriate access to their records according to the law. 

FERPA protects private student information. It allows for students/parents to acces student information. If in doubt, I would check with the compliance officer before releasing student information. Also, I would encrypt any information emailed.

I found it interesting that there are no fines levied for a FERPA violation.

Knowing the student rights is helpful when it comes to information protection.

There are a lot of take away from this first part of the module. Sole Possession Notes that are transfered are student records.

I learned that students have the right to access their records under FERPA.  And am looking forward to learning more about FERPA in the modules ahead! 

My main takeaway from this topic so far is that the students have a right to their information, as well as the right to keep their information private, and that it is our job to ensure that. I will apply this knowledge by always being confident that I am following FERPA guidlines, and when answering calls, or speaking to students that I dont share any personal information that is not allowed. 

Understanding the FERPA laws in very important in protecting student;s privacy.   Some students don't want any of their information released to anyone and it's important to respect that request.

What I have found interesting about FERPA is that just because aacademic advisor places information on the record doesn't necessarily mean it is on record. The advisor has to formall share those notes with the institution, otherwise those notes are private. I feel if the individual felt it was worth nothing, we should know. 

I'm just happy to know that this is something that exists

In our pandemic environment of education - where every educational institution has had to modify to online learning - I appreciated the perspective of having new difficulties arise in an online environment.  There have been so many new challenges that everyone involved in student education has had to adapt to over the last year and a half so I can see how Ferpa, Ferpa records, privacy, disclosure, and even identifying the student that you may never meet, can all add new challenges to protecting a student's privacy.

FERPA is applicable to both K-12 and higher education. FERPA is a law that privides students access to their student records and it maintains the privacy for educational records. 

Students and parents also have the right to amend their educational records and complaints must be filed withing 180 days from the incident. 

FERPA protects students personal information and educational records. It also gives students and parents the right to access school records as well as amend information if there are any discrepancies. 

Under FERPA, parents of a college student do not have access to educational records, without consent.

Sign In to comment