Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Reply to Katherine Hillerich's post: Great comment.  The difficulty is with the supporting systems that make it difficult to avoid seeing some of this information.  

I have learned about student's rights

I learned that FERPA tarining is very important in order to become more prepared for great futute 

that education files are not available to all instructors and that immediate access can be declined as the schol has 45 days to respons

I have learned that it best to take your time and check to see if information can be released and not pressured to give it.  Better safe than sorry.  Even harder to release any information over the phone and a written request is needed and would need to be verified.  

I learned that any record, with certain exceptions, maintained by an institution that is directly related to a student or 

students is considered an educational record. 

How I use it: Is to become more informed when acting on behalf of any student.

Hello all,

I enjoyed the refresher on the various topics regarding FERPA; i felt I had a reasonably good understanding of most concepts based on experience and prior trainihg.  But, what I did not know is that personal notes are not part of educational records (generally).  That was a surprise to me.

So far, so good.  I will try to keep learning.

I have learned how important it is to understand what can and cannot be released and what are the exceptions.

I have learned who to share and disclose student records to and for what reasons. It is best to inform or notify the student if records are to be released to outside entities that are not within the institution.

Parents can assess student records without student written request if they are listed as a dependent by the IRS.  Alcohol and illegal drug use information can also be released to parents of students under age 21

Learning what FERPA is and maintaining confidentiality of student records. 

FERPA-is to protect the student privacy and to follow guidlines of the law as it pertains students information.

This is to be used on a daily basis in which I will incorporate daily.

I leaned alot  of details about FERBA, it is very important to be careful when handling students records.

Documentation in a student's record should be thoughtful and pertinent to the educational needs of the student. They trust us to protect their privacy and provide information in a timely manner. df

I am aware of the FERPA, and it is good to take this refresher training since laws do evolve overtime.

My takeaway was a reminder of the sensitivity of the information and how all employees of the university may not have access to it.

Good information to know, will protect student information and gained knowledge about student and parents rights. 

Student privacy is important and should be respected by all instituion employees. Do not share private information and be careful not to disclose any information that is protected by FERPA. 

The definition of FERPA. How to handle confidentiality of student records.

Faculty must protect students personal information and school records in accordance to laws protecting the rights of the student and the institution. 

FERPA is designed to provide students with access to their records, but also to guarantee that those records are kept confidential.  As an online instructor, maintaining confidentiality with student information should be maintained as a simple matter of policy.

FERPA is designed to protect the rights of everyone.

Sign In to comment