Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

student information is not to be shared

I understand that it is very important to protect the students' privacy rights and info can be only disclosed if written authorization is given by the student or the school thinks the privacy of the student takes a backseat because of threats to the bigger community.

I learned that not all staff have access to the same level of student information. In my role, I would not expect to have access b/c I don't use student information to fulfull my role/responsibilities. 

FERPA is a great resourse to protect students' privacy rights that as staff members we need to be aware of.

AS a Faculty, I was aware of the FERPA role but now in my new position as a Registrar, this chapter brought me to a deeper knowledge. The importance of a student privacy is mandatory and has legal consequences if not observed.

It is our job to make sure that the information of a student is kept safe. I feel that it is better to be safe than sorry and make sure that whatever you are releasing and whoever you are releasing to are 100% in compliance with FERPA. I have learned about some examples of small but signifigant loopholes and how to both keep an eye out for them and how to be careful.

What this course is impressing on me the most is how important it is to have really good school policy, and training on how we handle records so that we can remain compliant and support student rights. 

The information in this module is very informative.  I have learned that students not only have the right to access their information, but the institution has 45 days to comply.  

FERPA also deals with providing students access to their student records not only concerns regarding privacy. 

It is intersting, it seems like it might be along the same lines as a counselors private notes.  

It was a good refresher on how FERPA protects student records, including access to them and requesting they be amended.  It was helpful to be reminded that each institution defines employees who have access.  It was new information for me to discover that information obtained once a student is goe (alumni records) is not considered art of the student record.  

Treat all student information as confidential and only give information to those who have legal access to it. kinder-12 parents, college+ the students.

FERPA lends hand to a safe and effective learning environment for students.  Protecting privacy can help promote leanring.

Great Training, since we work in the Medical Field we are always very sensitive on HIPPA guidelines. What is nice is that FERPA also has to do with privacy for more adminstraive measures and helps protect internal doucments. It is nice to know and discuss these private internal ducuments and realize that these strict guidelines are important for each studnets records. Great training and will use this everyday with in our Academic Department. 

A school official is defined by the institution and not everyone needs to have access to student records.  Schools have the opportunity to change their FERPA guidelines if a complaint is filed. 

This is an excellent module; I have heard of FERPA but did not know the specifics.

I learned that FERPA is important to protect the students rights and for their well being.  I also learned that the request can take up to 45 days to be processed.  The complaint of a student has to be 180 days from the day of the incident.  It was also interesting to learn who has access to these records and what is considered an educational document covered by FERPA.  Understanding FERPA is very important for Faculty, employees and students. 

Learning about FERPA throught this module, has taught me about the importance of protecting the privacy of each student.

My main take away is that FERPA is not only related to a student's privacy but also their ability to access their education records. I will apply this by ensuring student's information is kept confidential and protected. 

FERPA provides students access to their school records and students have certain rights in reference to their records that we must abide by.

Sign In to comment