Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Our school's mission statement is simply and clearly stated; providing a focus for all we do, and what we wish to impart to the student. The mission statement, and accompanying values, assure the potential student of our commitment to the development of his skills and professional growth in an ethical, respectful, and accepting environment. These values are shared and promoted by all employees of the school; our communications with students must demonstrate our values at all times.

This is an vital point: that the student is our "product." Since we wish for the best employment opportunities for our students, we must instill professionalism along with skill sets. If we, as a school, are successful in doing so, the school and its graduates' reputation for excellence will enhance the employability of our students. In the employment market, reputation is everything.

My company's mission is displayed for all to see in my office and is very important to me and the way i run my office. I do my best to follow my company's mission every day as i hope my fellow coworkers do as well.

Treva,

Displaying your schools mission statement is a representation of the pride that you have in your school and what it stands for. Bravo!

Cindy Bryant

Our companys mission and value premise is important to me because its the backbone of the school.

The mission of my program empowers me by reminding me every day that these students are here to obtain success, much as the program allowed me to obtain. The Values instilled in me while going through this program are directly reflected in me while working for this company.

Alainna,

Bravo! It is wonderful to see that you have embraced your schools mission statement and have respect for your institution and your students.

Cindy Bryant

Our company's mission and value premise is important to me because it shows the commitment and values we have to gain our perspective students and students trust. Credibility is an attribute that associates with any organizations mission to establish a good reputation. An organization's mission must always be aligned with a community's needs.

Mission statement is defines the path and desired outcome of the product and service.

it is important to me because we all work like a family, looking out for our students and helping them out when needed. We are the motivation and push behind our student to keep them going and help them succeed in there goals.

Ashley,

Welcome to the forum. It is good to know that the students can rely on you to take care of their best interests. Sometimes that little 'push' is what keeps them going. :) Good to know that they have someone like you to look out for them.

Cindy Bryant

Our company's mission and value go hand in hand. When everyone shares a common vision and goal, team work and commonality become the machine that accomplishes the desired results. In other words when everybody is on the same page and excellence is the expected norm, then excellence is achieved. When we model high standards and excellence, we promote highly skilled graduates with excellent career training.

Annie ,

Businesses move forward by setting goals and then working to attain them. In schools big and small, staff members can feel separated from management. Bringing everyone together in pursuit of common goals is crucial to moving ahead, sustaining and growing a school over the long haul.

Cindy Bryant

A lot of the comments thus far have defined what the mission is and its importance. One thing that I've found missing in the responses is the importance of a regular review cycle. The mission statement and value premise is not a process that can or should be developed by a single person or department. An institution can have more than one mission statement. My institution, for example, has an institutional mission statement that addresses the vocational programs offered. We also offer the avocational program which has programmatic accreditation through a separate, avocational accreditor.
Our Strategic Plan mandates that our institution conduct systematic and regular review of our mission. We do this by surveying our students, faculty, staff and institutional advisory committee. We also solicit additional feedback from the community. If your mission doesn't make sense to people outside your institution, how can you expect your students, especially those who may not speak English as their first language, to understand the value premise.
It is important that students understand the value premise, and sometimes the wording has to be reduced to a simplified English so the international student body can understand the commitment of the amount of work required to finish the program, the rules of conduct, the cost of tuition and other associated costs, and the benefits of completing the program.
When developing, reviewing and/or revising a mission statement, it is very important that we consider the student's position, from everything to their current needs to obstacles such as language. For this reason, our institution has established a separate mission statement for those enrolled in the avocational English as a Second Language program. The objectives of these students will be far different from those in the vocational program. In addition, the limited English proficiency also substantiates the need to develop a specialized mission that they can understand. And, whenever necessary, we provide the student with either a translated document and/or translator so they fully comprehend the promise that our institution is making to and with them.

This Mission Statement is critical as it guides my own decisions, acting on behalf of the school I represent. Additionally, it shows the student (and prospective student) our focus and our promise to them.

Jeanie,

Thank you so much for bringing up strategic reviews. It is important that the reviews be timely and effective. Self review allows institutions to examine key areas and address their shortcomings if needed through self correction. This enables a school to indicate to their licensing and accrediting agency that they are responsible and willing to self examine for the good of the student body and institution,

Cindy Bryant

Robert,

A mission statement should act as a lighthouse. If a company loses track of itself, it should be able to look back on its mission statement and be reminded of their overall purpose. In general, a mission statement should inform your workers and students what the school is all about and where it is headed. A mission statement should act as a foundation to help a school/business create a culture that is integrated with its overall purpose.

Cindy Bryant

My company's mission and value premise are important to me because of my own values of honesty, integrity, and authenticity. To be able to provide stduents with a high-quality education that prepares them for the work-force in their chosen field is an honor. Going through the program at our school changes people's lives, as I hear at every single graduation. Students come in thinking they are just going to learn about the subject matter, but instead are transformed and become more of who they are, find meaning in their lives, and make lifelong friends. Being able to be a part of a company that is able to contribute to someone's life in that way is a privilege.

Sara,

It is wonderful to hear from a person that believes in what we do. Following values and having integrity is a paramount to what education stands for. Changing lives is what we are all about.

Cindy Bryant

Our company's mission is important because of what it means for our students and staff. Students can expect a high quality education that prepares them for a successful career. Staff can understand how to execute their job best by following the standards and values our mission encompasses.

Sign In to comment