Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Mission statements are important to me because I want to be certain, before I accept a position, that our mission and values are harmonious. If they are not aligned, the likelihood of sustained relationship is remote at best.
As an employee, I want to feel like I am contributing to an organization that has the same values I do, so that I know the time I spend in the office each day is making the world a better place.

For me, the mission statement is the road map that guides the school. It gives an understanding of the direction the school is going. Combined with the value premise, they give a clear understanding of what the school's objective is and helps build trust with our students

Roman,

Thanks so much for the example! As you reference, a career-focused institution's mission statement should be clear, simple and student-centered!

Jay Hollowell

Michelle,

Thanks for bringing in a different perspective. Your'e right, the organization's mission and core values should align with the employee's and vice versa.As employees we are powerful representations of our institutions and our disciplines - even education in general. We must all be on the same page, and that page mission-focused!

Jay Hollowell

A mission statement is what the company and it's employees stand behind. It sets the goals and guidance.

The mission statement and value premise states what is most important to the company. It guides us and lets the employees know what the goals are for the company.

Ryan,

This is a very good analogy; I might even add that as the mission statement the road map, the core values are the integral points along the way, the landmarks if you will, to help ensure that the road map is being utilized accurately and effectively! :-)

Jay Hollowell

It's a promise we make to our customers. It helps our employees understand where the college has been & where we feel it should be heading.

The mission and value premise are the center core of the whole organization. It is what brings everything together into one simple statement that can be reviewed to ensure that the main goal of the organization will be achieved. Since there are many departments that make up the company, it is crucial to have a simple statement that can be understood easily and still maintain the main center statement of the company.

The mission and value premise is important to me because it reflects me personally and my beliefs. As a student myself, I look for a strong mission and value premise in the school I am attending. I want to know that I am important to a school, not just for my money, but because they truly care about my life.

When a student applicant is able to to see and understand our value premise as reflected in our mission statement thoroughly then we have achieved transparency. That trust becomes our most competitive advantage.

When a student applicant is able to to see and understand our value premise as reflected in our mission statement thoroughly then we have achieved transparency. That trust becomes our most competitive advantage.

Often times the mission statement is created at the top. It is critical that the staff on the front lines understand and embrace this mission. It is also something that needs to be periodically revisited as goals, focus, initiatives,, environment, society, etc., evolve.

Integrity in learning - complete transparency and honesty. An excellent Institution to work for - on track, follows all guidelines to highest standards and cares about student's learning outcomes.

Hi Lawrence,

What an excellent point! I rarely hear that the mission statement is a promise, but that is exactly what it is! Thanks!

Jay Hollowell

Emily,

Thanks for your post! We even suggest that individual departments also have mission statements that reflect their roles in, and congruent support of, the unified mission.

Jay Hollowell

Amanda,

This is a good point. When institution as a whole, employees', and students' values align, a true culture of compliance exists.

Jay Hollowell

Thanks Michael,

As you reference, Mission (which reflects the value premise) + Full and Accurate Disclosure = Transparency = Trust, the foundational principle and characteristic of a culture of compliance.

Jay Hollowell

Jeani,

Thanks, I agree, the mission statement is a living document!

Jay Hollowell

My institutions Vision and Mission are important to me because it shows our schools purpose, goals and our overall commitment to our students.

Sign In to comment