Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The range of disabilities is daunting.  As teachers, we need to withhold judgment and consider different options to help students to successfully complete our courses.

I have learned that when developing the instruction for an online course, the course should be designed for all students, whether they have disabilities or not.

on line teaching  doesn't always give you a clear advantage point of knowing what students will have learning disabilities.  Building your curriculum to accommodate these students whether they are in your class  or not will strengthen you as an online instructor.

Some students with learning disabilities will slide through without informing the school or teacher and some will inform you. I make adjustments for the class when necessary if I find a student needing more time and clarification.

This is certainly a challenging situation for students and instructors. More so online. Very interesting topic.

Online teaching is new to me. I have learned a lot important information through this session. I really there are several things to consider that online instructors should provide and ensuring the course is accessible to student's disablities. 

I've seen it but I'm shocked with the percentages of student's arriving in Post-Secondary schools with disabilities and that have been passive in nature. I'm so happy to have been learning this module to be further informed. I will be procative even more in assisting the students in being aware intitled needs with disabled services. 

I currently work with people with disabilities, I don't currenlty do any online teaching, but have kept my classes small to be able to accommodate to my students' disabilities. I have seen many disabilites described in the course. I mainly deal with vision impairment and learning disabilites. 

When setting up courses, we need to take deliberate steps to ensure that what we're laying out can easily transfer to students with various learning disabilities. It may take some outside of the box thinking, but it can be done.

The number of students with disabilities was surprising, many times as instructors we do not have the appropriate consideration for these students, making sure the material is presented in a way that all students can access and manuver the site is also importantl.

It is important to be able to identify and deal with and help students with learning or physical disabilitys. You also have to learn to adjust your program as well as be willing to be available and plan on taking more time with them in order for student to learn. 

I didn't know so many students have disabilities. It's important to take this in consideration before developing your lesson plans.

Gloria whien teaching on line you will have possibly students with disabilities. it is important to be proactive in your planning. It is important tho make sure that all students are able to achieve ther means of siccess whaterver the diability may be.

I think the one thing that I learned was that there are many students who have a disability. We need to make sure that they have the resources they need to be succesful in class. We have to plan for many different learning styles already so this needs to be a focus as well. 

I have learned that many disabilities can go unnoticed or unreported. It is important to create a very clear and organized content. Checklists are such an esy tool however, extremely effective.

One element that stuck out for me and is important to understand is not all impairments are visible and depending on the impairment, it can require different tools and approaches in an online learning environment.  Tools can be clear communication, magnification, text-to-speech translation, transcripts, bold text, FAQ, etc.  

One element that is consistent is to ensure there is clear communication and expectations.  

Discussion forums can be challenging for students with anxiety disorders. Visually impaired students may not be able to fill out online forms or navigate a webpage with a mouse. Scaffolding and clear deadlines helps students with cognitice impairments.

I feel it is important to develop multiple ways of teaching and present information through multiple means.

Not everyone has the ability to understand and learn the same way I do. I would therefore implement various ways of presenting the material so everyone has the opportunity to learn at their level of knowledge.

I learned about many types of disabilities and how some disabilities you can't visually see.  As a teacher I will support all students who feel challenged.  I will also make sure I am consistant with my assignments and the technology I use will be checked for accessabilty. 

IN Post secondary ed, there has been an increae with students with disabilities...I have alsways addressed students that might have a disability to make an appoint ment with me to discuss their situation and make them feel welcome and not embarresed 

Sign In to comment