Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

As a nursing instructor, I didn't really think about persons with disabilities. I equated disability as someone who can't hear, see, walk, etc. I never took into account the student with ADHD or mental health issues. I am incorporating various means of teaching so that I try to hit as many learning preferences as possible. My lectures include PowerPoint, videos, question games, and case studies. After reading this, I am going to make the transcripts of our lectures available to students.

In this module we learned about the different disabilities, I was very surpised at the percentages of disabilities!

Barriers to learning can be lowered or eliminated by offering multiple options for students to process the subject matter.

There are many challenges to be considered, not the least of which is how to open learning opportunities and how to keep peripheral processes from obstructing access to primary course material.

I really like the tip in this unit to try presenting things in several different ways. My mind is already rolling on different ways I can do that.

I found the fact that many students do not report disabilities or that the percentage of disabilities is much higher than what may become presented to a professor very interesting.  I love the fact that of incorporating a FAQ page and checklist can be an immediate source of support.

This lesson has taught me the importance of being patient with all my students. What some may percieve as lazy in a student can actually be an unfortunate manifestation of a disability(s). When creating lesson formats for the disabled, it is critical to make lessons pithy in order to maximize learning. As an instructor, I will be sure to do research on different disabilities, particularly when a student or students of mine have disabilities of any kind, in order to create a more inclusive and accomodating learning environment. 

I did not realized that there are so many different form of disabilities.  These disabilities have been considered as the student's personality and were dealt with accordingly with disciplinary actions because the disabilities were not understood.  By understanding the different forms, educators could be more empathetic and create a more flexible learning experience for these students.  The continued edcation will create awareness which in turn will assist educators by providing an alternative tool for students with learning disabilities.

Hello, there was a couple of disabilities that I did not think about prior to taking the course. 

Online learners and Disabilities 

This is a great topic to assist all learners. Knowing synchronized activities would be more difficult for the disabled helps apply the three principals more readily to all students. The principles are:

1.) multiple means of presenting information

2.) expressing and practicing skills

3.) engaging the students

As someone with a seizure disorder and migraines, I'm so happy to see you had the flashy transition example here. I have too often been made ill at worse or made confused and befuddled at best by this sort of thing. I like that you talked about a huge variety of disorders -- visible and invisible. 

Nancy Tosh

The reporting of disabilities is interesting, which means we need to support that there are disabilities when developing and delivering content so it is available to all regardless of their claim.

Robin Jarnagin 

Online Learners with Disabilities

I learned lots from this first module. I did not realize that so much needed to be taken into consideration. When planning learning for persons with disabilities lots of compassion needs to be exercized. The designer and planner has to be aware of visual, hearing, and physical impairments just to name a few. 

I intend to apply what I have learned with caution, deliberation, and sensitivity.

It is so very wonderful that there are so many programs and resources for individuals with disabilities in existence today.

I appreciate this course taking on the topic of disabilities. Most importantly, not only did it highlight different types, but offered possible solutions instructors can implement to help make their teaching be more accessible to all. 

Many learners/students have dissabilities.  Some diagnosed, some not, either way the teaching world must accomodate all students regardless of dissabilities.  Many times working together with a student with a disability gives the instructor and the student opportunities to brainstrom and find ways to overcome any disability.  

I learned that the students with disabilities have more opportunity to study using electronic way to complete the lesson, because have more space in physical locations, space availability and more time to flinish the lessons.

While completeng this module I reviewed some of the learning desabilities and the best practices to assist them as online instructors or designers. 

There are many disabilities that may impact learning, affecting many more than one might realize

I have learned that many students may not be aware of a disaibility and/or will not disclose it to the instructor. I appreciate the idea of formatting information either bold or creating checklists to make the material more clear and accessible. 

Sign In to comment