Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have used Universal Design principles in all of my theory based courses with a high level of retention and successful outcomes.  My MSN students who are taking courses with being a nurse educator are often surprised, unaware of what constitutes a 'disability' for a student in their own classrooms so a steep learning curve with curriculum design.

I have learned that there are different types of learners and that when creating my online course I should make sure that is accessible to all types of learners.

students with disabilities can remain focused and engaged by providing a checklist and content that is organized  

Accessibility on a website is extremely important as more and more students are converting to online and remote learning. Many who may not have had anxieties in the past may now experience anxieties that are surfacing due to the pandemic. It's extremely important that our goal to reach all the students no matter what their disabilities, social anxieties, learning deficiencies, etc. 

I have had many students in face to face classes that had disabilities. This section made me more aware of issues that will tend to be hidden with online learners. Keeping the course accessibility more in tune with those having disabilities while not diminishing the course content for everyone will be my goal and take away. This section is helping me understand and better relate those students with special needs and to create course materials that will assist them better. 

There is a large range of disabilities and to cover them all each lecture will take some creative design and awareness.  Looking forward to the growth and evolving of each module as we adapt to different types and levels of learners.

I really enjoy reading the different scenarios in this section- it allows you to get a better idea of how to handle a situation if and when you have a student with a disability. Creating an accessible online environment is important for all learners and this explains how to recognize your student's needs before/ during your course.

I have known for years that the number of disabled students was growing, however the numbers took me by surprise.  I was also aware that with the GI Bill allowing former military personal to go back to school and further their education.  Some of theses students have PTSD or require new means of adapting to being in a classroom.  We need to be prepared for 3 specific definitions in the area of disabilities.  The Check list and bold text will help to.

There appears to be alot of learning impairments, both physical and cognative that need to be addressed even in an online teaching environment.

Accessiblity is different from disability and to be mindful for all students to have access.

Respectfully,

Kendrick Kim

kkim1@fullcoll.edu

I appreciate the scenarios given during this module. It is always important to remember to help and assist in a positive way. It is our job as instructors to facilitate learning in a safe, compassionate environment and assume positive intent of all our students.

It is necessary to provide accommodations for students that have disabilities in your online class. You should make these accommodations regardless of knowing that you have a student enrolled that has a disability since a very small percentage of students actually report they need special access.

I was surprised at the number of students who might have a disability. As I design a course, I need to be more aware of the potential number of students in my class who might faill into this category.

There is quite a variety of disabilities that may affect the online learner and some are hidden.  

Having taught students with disabilities F2F I can imaging how difficult it would be to teach them online.

I want people to be aware that not everyone who is having a difficulty is IMMEDIATELY supposed to be categorized as having a disability. Sometimes people struggle with certain portions, but it isn't always an indicator of a condition. It could be that they are not good at math and didn't expect so much math in a course or that they are having a tough day/week/month. Anyway, I just wanted to caution against blind diagnosis or assumptions.

I didn't realize so many disorders are actually classified as disabilities. I do have some students with disabilities and I have always worked with them. I never realized that online content could actually be a problem for some.

Teaching students with disabilities is a specialized position. No average teacher should try to teach all disabities without special training. Even identifying the disability is not for an average teacher. The teacher can do more harm than good.

I have learned to think about things more clearly from the perspective of those with disabilities.  For instance, in the PowerPoints, we as instructors should not be including things that flash due to the risk that they could cause seizures. It is also important that long-term projects might best be divided into smaller components and that depression is common.  We truly need to think about the barriers these individuals face.

Two things strike me about this topic. I am concerned about the students with hidden disabilities who do not reveal early on.  This is detrimental to their success.  As noted, we cannot ask but perhaps we can discuss general disabilities as part of the course introduction which may make students feel comfortable revealing any potential concerns they may have.  

The second item is how does our school participate with the instructional design concerns to ensure we are following the ADA and applicable laws in this realm.  Most schools have a staff member who is responsible to ensure accommodations are appropriate for any LD student.  Who, on your campus, is your expert resource person for these scenarios?

Sign In to comment