Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Truly interesting in the amount of students that have some type of an inpairment.

I would have not considered all of these to be disabilities,

Hidden disabilities include but are not limited to:

• Other non-defined disabilities
  • Speech impairments
  • Hearing impairments
  • Health-related impairments such as Repetitive Strain Injuries (RSI)
  • Dexterity difficulties
  • Diabetes
  • Sickle cell anemia
  • Epilepsy
  • Asthma
  • Hypertension

I know many people with diabetes and I consider them to be normal.

Having worked with disabled students in the past I understand that there can be many limitaions in their learning.  Ther is also a number of different learning styles dependign on their disability.  Instructiors need to have an open mind and be understanding that all disabilities are not the same.

Reply to George Bonnand's post:Agreed!

Taking into consideration that there are multiple earning modalities, attempting to touch on each of them will enhance the learner's participation. Pictures and videos for the visual, drag and drop or matching (movement) for the kinesthetic or hands-on, and audio which can come n the form of your lectures being read to them as an option for playback. This is quite challenging and takes time to build but I seem to have gotten more out of my students since I started addressing these core areas. Technology on the other hand when getting students used to online learning is a bigger challenge. It may be in the form of a cognitive impairment but I do notice my older students tend to struggle in this area.

clear organization & structure, checklist, reminders to assist students through the learning process

Understanding that there are different disabilities in the student population that are not always apparent, self  reported or classified. Better understanding of the different types of disabilities, many of which has not been diagnosed was helpful.

getting a better understanding of how to work with students with disabilities. I agree there is some limitation based on the type of disability the student has.

It has opened my eyes as to the large number of undiagnosed students with learning disabilities

It is interesting to learn that there are "hidden disabilties" that the student may not even identify as a disability. It is important for the instructor to have various methods of delivering information so that all learners are able to comprehend the materials. Having an organized classroom format, syllabus, and materials will help assist every student to have access. 

Although I already knew students would have learning difficulties, I was not aware of hoe many students are affected by such. As well as the vast amount of different learning disabilities a student may have. I was already planning to have my lectures be captioned. But now i see that there can be other factors that I should make more attentin to. 

The list of "hidden" disabilites were interesting and very helpful to keep in mind.

Have multiple tools to ensure all students have access to the information you're providing. Don't assume one supplemental option is enough. Also, don't jump to negative conclusion if a student falls behind, it could be a hidden disability at play. 

I am now planning on recording all live class meetings for the online courses so that they can be reviewed at any pace. I already record any demonstration of technique used in class.

I found the information related to hidden disablities very interesting, as it emphasizes the need to be open to the idea that a student may be suffering from an issue that interferes with their ability to learn, even though it is not outwardly visible.  This makes is essential that you examine this possibility anytime a student is showing an inability to fully comprehend the class structure and material.

I have learned about the three disabiities in general: Impairment; accommodation and acessibility.

Impairment is a medical and physical term limitinf one's ability to perform activities a normal person can do; accommodation is for the instructor to be able to provide extra time, materials and strategy for the impaired student to catch up and perform such skills; accessibility is making a lesson or skill accessible to the student. 

By making instructor aware of these disabilities, instructions in online may be enhanced and more effective 

Students will not always state their disabilities as I have found out in my limited teaching. We must accommodate the students with proper teaching to each persons disability.

Technological advances that have be created to facilitate effective learning platforms for children and adults with disabilities is downright phenomenal. Various modifications needed to address differentiated learning style is important to remedy any difficulties during the learning process.   

This topic has taught me about the measures that should be taken to aid students with disabilities. The number of students with disabilities is high, a factor that is concerning among educational institutions. Recognizing such students and coming up with technological tools that can aid them should be promoted among all institutions.

the high percentage of students with disabilities and the many obstacles face by these students is big.

I really need to focuos on the three principles of best practice.  I need to do more for my students that what I'm already doing!

I learned that deveoping multiple means for presenting information, means of expression  and practice of knowledge/skills is the best ways to make things accesible to many learners.

Sign In to comment