Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned that keeping online workers engaged and focused can be difficult, but there are a number of ways to help with this challenge:                                                                                                                                          ----It's helpful to make introductions early and communicate with them as much as possible. 

-Interactive tasks help keep their minds moving and add variety to the learning process.

-Look for feedback from students to see if theres any aspect of the online learning process that theyre struggling with, give them feedback in return.

-"Chunk" the learning material into manageable sizes, to help students tackle it piece by piece without getting overwhelmed and bored.

-

I have learned that many of the kinds of engagement activities I already use in my courses work to promote better student-to-student and student-to-instructor relationships. I also now have specific terminology to explain my process and kinds of philosophies I use in my classroom. 

Mantener la atención en clase es todo un reto e incentivar a la participación aún más, sin embargo con las pautas del modulo en la cual se apertura a una comunicación más abierta permite la atención de los participantes, generando continuamente el interés por los temas desarrollados.

In this module I have learned the importance of engaging with the student before and during the course. Students need a variety of ways to stay engaged and motivated.

I typacly like to use interactive labs and gamifiied learning or video content from other sources for new prospectives.

Providing constructive feedback by showing the student what they got correct and showing how they can improve their answer is important in student engagement. When a student is not answering substantively, I provide a feedback with an open ended question to give them opportunity to expand on their answer and be more substantive.

Yes, motivational engagement is important. It is also a way for students to think critically.

In this first module, we have learned about how to both engage and motivate learners. I think that this will be helpful for the hybrid course I am about to start teaching. I am excited to begin! One strategy I plan on using a lot is communication. This hits both engagement and motivation as by discussing things with learners, I am engaging them and helping to motivate them. Two examples on how I plan on engaging them is through effective feedback and reminders. I also plan on bringing a part of me to the course to show that I am really there for them and care about their success. 

Social and motivational learning are key to enthusiastic, authentic, and engaging learning experiences for students. With the rapid evolution of software over the past few years, I'd like to work on developing more social learning opportunities for past/current/future asynchronous students to interact as well as better use of leveraging technology for motivational learning for the students. 

I realised how important is know the personality and the way they learn. so we as a teacher have to thinks about diferents ways to teach. And now i have more kids to do that.

Since instructing online I have only dealt with solely online, uploading PowerPoints that students don't look through or textbooks they do not ready. Makes things difficult to put out good career minded individuals in the work force. Now I am in a place where I have to actually do Online Classrooms and not sure the best ways to go about that, any help is appreciated. 

In an accelerated schedule such as ours (5 week terms) and teaching courses (ENG) where no student actually majors in that concentration, creates many obstacles and challenges when it comes to student engagement online. However, over the years I have learned that stressing writing is a skillset anyone can improve upon with time and practice, writing is a process meant to evolve over several drafts and not be perfect the first time, and that's my job to help them improve.... lifts a great deal of that weight off their shoulders. That's important especially in online -- constantly stressing in lectures, messages, announcements -- that I am there to help them but communication is key. Faculty are not mind readers and can not fill that void of misunderstanding if students don't communicate their needs. How do we do that? Persistence. Students will still fall through the cracks because they refuse to take any responsibility for their education, BUT most will try really hard if they know someone is watching their progress and genuinely cares.

Battling against lifestyles of online learners can be challenging to truly know if one is understanding and are competent with the material. However, utilizing some of the strategies of motivation, social interaction and journaling can be methods to increase their knowledge of the materials for class. The true test would be to bring students onto campus and have exams taken in person, however, our online enviornment would need to establish values for engagement to better student understanding.

Instructing in an online environment can present a unique set of challenges, and each set of challenges is a unique combination based on the material that is being taught as well as the students themselves. Everyone learns differently, and sometimes trying to come up with ways to get people to interact, make the learning more enjoyable and not feel monotonous, and especially trying to get the more reserved and quiet people to interact can be tough. After going through this module and reflecting on things I have done in the past, it's helped me to think a bit deeper and understand a little more of just how important it is to actively work more on social/group dynamics with the students. It's not impossible, but depending on the subject matter, you just have to think outside the box a bit more. If there is one thing I've learned with teaching, it's that the animated interactions and response seem to catch their attention the most.

I've learned two things.

Engage your students & Motivate your students.

Throughout my course, I've gained valuable insights into engaging online learners effectively. I've learned that fostering a sense of community is crucial, and I plan to encourage active participation through discussions, group activities, and collaborative projects. Timely and constructive feedback plays a pivotal role in student motivation and learning, so I intend to provide regular feedback that is specific and actionable.

Motivational engagement is key to keeping your students activate and attentive to the course. I also learned being engaging in the discussions is important as well. To have good communication with your students, begins before the class starts.

To best engage online learners, I prioritize interactive content and foster a sense of community. I integrate multimedia elements, encourage active participation through discussions and collaborative projects, and provide timely feedback. Establishing a supportive online environment and utilizing diverse communication channels, such as video messages and live sessions, helps create a more dynamic and engaging learning experience.

This course has got me thinking about the importance of reaching out to students before the class begins.  Very often in the past, I have had students in my class reach out to a prior instructor because they are more comfortable with them.  

Motivating students and providing positive reinforcement are very important for a positive learning environment. Encouragement can be the cornerstone of their progress, instilling a sense of confidence and resilience. By acknowledging their efforts and celebrating their achievements, we create a supportive atmosphere where every step forward is valued. Inspiring them through meaningful engagement and demonstrating belief in their capabilities fuels their motivation, leading to a more enriched and fulfilling educational journey.

Sign In to comment