Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It was interesting to learn more of of intermediate and advanced writing practices. Most of them that require more personal interactions are out of my element as those weren't considered "professional" ways to communicate. I would be more interested in incorporating the ARCs model.

The Online Communication Strategies is a shining jewel of a course. It reminded me how affective interaction should never be ignored or taken for granted with my daily written communication exchanges with my students. "Treat each students as I would like to be treated" continues to be my motto. This course reinforces my motto. 

I want to use techniques learnt in this module, such as use of positive language instead of punitive language, use tentative stems and checkout, use the model ARCS: attention, relevance, confidence, satisfaction, and acknowledge presence, emotion, though and concern.

Interactuar con los estudiantes en linea debe ser igual de activa que la interacción presencial, es complicado porque considero que un vínculo se cuida en presencia; no obstante, podemos encontrar herramientas que permitan cuidar este mismo vínculo como una retroalimentación efectiva, foros de debate y consulta constantes, etc.

Because of the lack of social cues and body language, replacing negative words with positive words can be crucial; in addition, acknowledging the student's concern by checking in and checking out is just as important in online communication. 

I have learned that many of my social emotional instincts in written communication actually have academic names and are proven effective to relate to student.

I am a huge fan of virtual meetings because it allows students the opportunity to ask questions and creates a sense of community.

Excellent example below!  I loved learning about descriptive immediacy!

Jane:
"This class is horrible! No matter what I do, points are always taken away. I really don’t want to FAIL!! How do I drop this class before I fail?”

You:
Hi Jane (acknowledge presence). Thanks for reaching out to me for help (interactive statement). It sounds like (tentative stem) this class has been frustrating (acknowledge implicit emotion), and I get the sense (tentative stem) that you’re feeling somewhat anxious about continuing (acknowledge implicit emotion). Is that right (check-out)? Jane, (acknowledge presence) considering your outlook, I can see how you think it may be a challenge to pass the class (acknowledge thought, positive language). Let’s schedule an appointment to discuss this over the phone so that I understand your situation more fully (acknowledge concern). Together, we will find the best solution [smiling optimistically] (descriptive immediacy).”

Sign In to comment