Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned that:

Response sequence is a technique for attending to students’ needs in a personalized manner whereas

the ARCS-based email model is a method for structuring messages in ways that enhance student motivation.

These techniques reinforce a collaborative, relationship-building tone when responding to and initiating

contact with students.

I appreciate the tips for online communication strategies.  I prefer to use response sequencing which is a technique for attending to students’ needs in a personalized manner. The more personal attention I provide to a student, the more I see they trust me and respect me as a mentor.

I think it is important for fostering relationships to help students feel confident in my courses and program.

I really like the ARCS email format (attention, relevance, confidnece, and satisfaction). This meets the need to be cohesive and decisive at once.

Kindly,

Amy

I learned that the communication is a principal elements in the online course.  The professors need to communicate with positive language all the time, and keep the nonverbal cues. 

Communication and validation of student emails is important for success.  Many small issues porblems or concerns can be handled effectively with clear and supportive communication.

In this module I review written skill to be constructive and asertive when communication is stripped of any physical or vocal cues.

I learned the importance of good and timely communication when teaching on-line. Also to keep the communication positive.

Useful content and delivery of key online best practices.

Online communication needs to be interactive and meaningful. The way that the instructor communicates with the students is important to help guide them and not demoralize them. 

Effective written communication is always changing. (when were emoticons invented?  how many words can I use in a text?)  Writing to students that convey attention, acknowledgment, postitive emotion and confidence takes practice!

Adding personalization and a bit of emotion to correspondence with students will validate your understanding of the students feelings.    This understanding may help the student feel more comfortable reaching out and more likely to respond to your inquiry.

I enjoyed reading this section of the training. It is fascinating how when things are worded appropriately the whole conversation seems inviting and engaging so students are always encouraged. I plan on practicing these strategies in drafting sample email messages to varous scenarios so I can go back and reference when needed.

Communication is important to allow the student to address their issues or concerns.  It also allows for instructors to provide feedback to students with the intention of better improving the students progress in the class. 

In this module, I learned about different methods of communication including the importance of developing a community.  The general strategies for establishing a relationship with your students including welcome calls, ongoing reminders, using names in all correspondence and setting up virtual meetings just to name a few.  The writing skills was also discussed including basic, intermediate, and advanced when responding to a student.  I agree with being careful with your word choice and making the reply or introduction positive, using tentative stems, emotional brackets, and ARCS.  The more we practice this method of writing and implement it the better the outcome will be for the student and the instructor. 

How important word choice is and expressing empathy, support and caring for the student to feel valued and included.

Great information from Basic to Advanced relational writing skills - many to adopt going forward.

Good tips for positive communicative language

Communication and building seem to be huge things throughout this course, and that means a lot to me, as I am this way as an educator. I need to be to be successful in middle school, but I am starting to feel it is just as important in an online collegiate setting. One must always communicate and build relationships, especially to retain students.

I like to self-disclose in online classroom discussions because it helps students see the human behind the computer screen. Creating an environment that commits to success and builds rapport.

I think  that setting of excellent communication is the most effective reflection to interact with peers and students to have positive interaction during courses.

Also use of several strategies to enhance the learning and reinforce the interactions between them.

Sign In to comment