Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Gloria, it is important for communication be interactive and not qone way.It is  important  to set the correct tone for effective communication at the beginning of the course while reflecting generational and personality differences.  It should be inviting and with senserity

Communcation with a student online has to be engaging while influencing positivity as well as being supportive of their academic needs. 

Reply to kevin carrier's post:yes, this lesson definitely explains how we have to encourage the students and let them know that their feelins are valid

The acronym ARCS stands for “attention, relevance, confidence, and satisfaction

I really like the examples of positive language and the ARCS email model. While this will be my first school year starting as an online teacher, I feel like the ARCS model should be taught to all pre-service teachers. While often public school teachers don't teach online courses, this model would be helpful for addressing parents' and students' questions over email. I use the ARCS model generally, but it took me some time to learn how to write an effective parent communication. Knowing this right off the bat would be very helpful for new teachers.

From the first meeting or class start, setting the correct tone for effective communication is essential for student success, student retention, and student learning outcome.

I did not know about the components of response sequence or ARCS based communication.

I have learned that the correct type of communication is essential so students feel a connection and understand that you are there to help.  It also allows you to build a rapport with your online students, which is harder to do in this type of enviornment.

Great information was conveyed in this section. What stood out was the Positive language is a skill that involves constructing statements in a way that conveys possibilities, options, and benefits Vs punitive language expresses limitations, ultimatums, and negative consequences, which may carry a subtle tone of blame or stern authority that can be damaging to the working alliance. Before this lesson I was not able to clearly obsrrve a distinction.

Word choice is important in the online space.

Respectfully,

Kendrick Kim

kkim1@fullcoll.edu

On line communication can be a way to support a student, incurage the student and also let them know that they are going to have to improve and step it up without it being in a demanding or degrading manner.

active listening and reinterating is really important in making sure there is a proper communication channel

The tone of written communication is critical to a student's perception of you and the institution. Put much though into your response before repling.

I am not a fan of the sharing of personal experiences and self-disclosure when it gets out of hand. It can be used effectively to show how you are an expert in your field, but if the sharing gets into the personal and away from the professional, then it can be a problem.

Tentative stems and check-out statements can confirm understanding of the message received from a student.  

Communicating positively with students can help get your point across without creating stress. Having empathy will help you communicate without putting too much stress on the student.

Communication is the key word...In person or online people adapt better and feel the caring gentle side of an individual

Communication during online teaching using advance relational skills appears to be effective.  Constructing theses types of emails can help students feel acknowledged, respected and valued.  I like the idea of creating an email template to create thoughtful supportive emails to our students.

Good communication is key to effective teaching online.

I learned how important is our communication with our students and the different strategies to create engage amd motivated emails.

Sign In to comment