Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Basic relational skills in writing include elements of written communication such as word choice, positive language, and affective, interactive, and cohesive statements. Effective utilization of these skills enables communicators to establish strong working alliances with students despite the absence of nonverbal communication cues.

I prefer inperson communication.  Body language, intonation, and eyes relay messages without miss interpretation.

Lacking nonverbal cues, online communication presents unique challenges for instructors and support staff when interacting with their students.  It is important to always be positive, use affective terms and language, and asking clarifying questions to ensure the person receiving the communique correctly understands the student.  

This modue offered numerous specific examples which are very helpful.  I will be able to refer back to these examples and strategies.  It is key to communicate in email feelings, a helpful attitude, etc.  This is no different than how we should communicate with colleagues or those we manage.  I think it is important that we model this type of communication for our students and encourage their emails to be professional and positive as well.

I actually learned alot about communicating online. I thought I already know alot about it being that i manage a business. But reading through this section I can see alot I have alot to work on. I also like the idea of using a positive connotation. I remember being in school and getting bad grades and already feeling bad. Its best to trying and not make it worse. 

I thought the table with negative connotations and corresponding alternatives was helpful. I have been changing the word problems to challenges in our writing as well. Using Opportunities instead of Mistakes is a good tip. However I am not sure if I agree with the use of Emoticons, feels unprofessional to use with students unless you have had a good amount of interaction with them.

A combination of Response sequencing and ARCS based emails facilitates a supportive , encouraging,  structured environment which oftentimes, can soften the perceived cold, impersonal on line class 

I do feel like you have to go a bit overboard with pleasantries in online communication, especially when students are upset and complaining.  I finished my doctorate a few years ago and empathisize with the level of stress they are under.  A few extra words of support and encouragement can go a long way to having a productive conversation with a student.

Effective communcation sets the foudnation.

I also appreciate the (relative) emotional connectivity of video conferences. They offer the opportunity to check in with my students in a way closer to in-person converstaion. I have found that students reacted quite positively to the times, and I ended up leaving a portion of the Zoom time unstructured so they could interact with each other as well as me.

While timing with network lag presents a learning curve, being able to see faces and hear voices certainly helps overcome the issues of the isolating effect of text-based correspondance.

Being able to commicate on a personal interested and kind level is always appreciated. It is important to be positive, know what you are talking about with the student and make them feel engaged.

I learn that validating students emotions help regulate emotions so that feelings sucha s frustration , anger or sadness do not overrule logical decision making of interferr in rapport building.

Vernise Walker

From this topic, I have learnt that it is essential to consdier different factors such as congratulations and welcome calls since these factors determine the relevance of personalized communication with other online students. 

Be positive, acknowledge concerns, show confidence and students will feel you have a personal interest in their success which will in turn boost their chances of success.

El feedack siempre tiene que ser en positivo y más aún en contextos donde no hay una interacción cara a cara. Por eso es imperativo siempre, utilizar las PALABRAS CORRECTAS. 

Personalized communication with online students can be achieved by implementing several proven strategies. These strategies include congratulations and welcome calls, using names in all correspondence, virtual meet-ups, multimedia communications, orientation, synchronous chat, and ongoing reminders.

One's tone and expression of emotion through different techniques can significantly help build rapport with online students.  

Online communication with students should include cohesive, affective, and interactive statements. It gives students the idea that the instuctor is caring, socialable, and suppotive. 

"Communication" is often the buzz word for a successful relationship, but it is not as simple as it sounds.  Communiccation is not just speaking to one another or expressing feelings and expecting understanding.  It is already a challenge to communicate verbally.  It is especially challenging to communicate via text with online learners.  This lesson made me realized more that choice of words and context make a tremendous difference in diffusing an unpleasant situation with students.  Often, written communication is written with emotion, therefore, certain "negative" term is used instead of a more "positive" tone.  I would strive to learn more neutral of positive terminology to communicate via written form in order to encourage a positive result.

Communication is key. 

How you respond to students concerns with an online class is just as important as the content that is covered. 

Sign In to comment