Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Tal cual los trabajadores requieren de un clima laboral pertinente para poder gestionar sus laboral de una mejor manera, los estudiantes y más aún en línea, tienen que sentirse identificados con el proyecto institucional. Sentir empatía con lo que están viviendo y sentor también que son tomados en cuenta en el propio proceso de mejora. Es importante que en clase, y más aun si es virtual, se enfatice este aspecto, para que los estudiantes sientan relación institucional e identificación con su centro de enseñanza. 

Building strong working alliances to me means setting expectations early via Announcement, good assignment directions, and so on, and allowing students to know they can resubmit an assignment for a higher score for example so that right away they are feeling supported and feeling like this is an environment where they can make mistakes and still have opportunities.

This is incredilbe information!  Student dropout is caused by two primary causes: (1) unsuccessful social integration and (2) incompatibility with institutional values and norms. This theory likens academic institutions to microcosms of society. When students fail to develop the personal affiliations necessary to feel a sense of community-belonging, they are more likely to voluntarily depart.

I was supprised to learn that not all colleges are working to improve student persistence.  

Making sure to connect with students whether in person or online is imperative to student retention.  

Interactions between students, faculty, and staff plays a major role in students' decision to leave or stay in school as well as retaining information. When there is a positive relationship and interaction between students and teachers, students tend to retain information during their learning.

I have always understood the importance of communication with students, however, after reading this information I realize that I didn't know how impactful this area was to all higher education schools in regards to retention. This reading also solidifies the importance of engaging with students and following up with students on how they are feeling about the class itself, the instructor, and their peers. I think the follow-up is not performed as often as it should be and I am speaking for myself and where I can improve.   CAK

Retention in any industry mandates "good services" and attentiveness to the patrons, in this case, the students.  This chapter emphasized the importance of human interactions and relationship.  By continuous efforts to address students' needs, the retention rate will increase due to the fact that any challenges and issues were addressed.  This allows the students to feel that their education matters and that their concerns are met.

the current generation will only accept help if you push the issue to them about tutoring.  For some barely passing is exceptable wear as other they want to exceed.  The motivated one will always seek help to better understand the material and to excell.

I will always remember the three retention factors--individual, external and institutional factors. I will also utilize empathy, geniuness to ensure student retention and success. I'm determined to show unconditional and non-judemental support to my students, so they can succeed. 

Reply to Mario Gonzalez's post:

I love that!

As an instructor, I confirmed that I should establish a postives cyber campus climate by making myseld available to the students. I do not judge and always give them more time. Technology is great but sometimes slows us down from learning. As the cyber freeways are full and student get dropped from WIFI signals etc. I remain calm and am availabe to help in tech as well as classroom settings. Patience is everything.

As an instructor, I confirmed that I should establish a postive cyber campus climate by making myself available to the students. I do not judge and always give them more time. Technology is great but sometimes slows us down from learning. As the cyber freeways are full and student get dropped from WIFI signals etc. I remain calm and am availabe to help in tech as well as classroom settings. Patience is everything.

I have the same concerns for the groups that are entering into more adult responsibilities, yes they are not prepared for what comes next after the primary education, no motivation from most of them, outside  personel sistuation from both male and female, we must reach them and help them, 

retention is very important and also communition engaging in order to reach these new learning groups.

Student retention takes a collaborative effort from all faculty, staff and students. 

I learned that:

A working alliance is the professional relationship between students and institutional personnel, which involves the establishment of rapport, trust, and a mutual agreement about goals and action plans. Building strong working alliances with online students is fundamental to increasing positive student outcomes.

There is a balance that is necessary...feed students too much and you enable them.  Help them to think on their own by letting them fail and we are not being supportive enough.  This balance is necessary to find the right kind of support to guide them to being independant, confident individuals.

It seems exceptionally obvious that students who feel "cared for"or "encouraged" will stay in a tough program of study and strive to complete it.  No surprises in the most effective ways to build that strong working "allince."   Seems so simple in the 3 things that are most helpful, Point of Contact, Positive and procative contact, and Responsiveness when help or advice is needed.  But here is the challenge:  All of the staff and faculty must really behave in this manner and not just talk thebtalk. 

having a good allince mean a lot

Sign In to comment