Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Time management and organization skills are some of the most important.

I've learned the on-line class take time to prepare and have a flexible agenda. This is needed to meet any challenges the class or individual learner may have. Now I can keep the class on course and on track.

Instructors who want to be efficient and thus proactive instead of reactive have to understand that constant monitoring of the class along with a solid survey of both students and teacher prior to class is a major step in assessing the basis on which the syllabus will be built to tailor the class

Learned about how to accommodate students at every level.

I learned that online instructors are able to help students with learning disabilities. 

Setting the stage for the online environment is necessary. Both the student and the teacher should assess the requirements for a successful online learning experience. An initial survey is a great way to identify any potential challenges that may present themselves during the course in an effort to make any changes needed. 

The importance of what goals motivate students individually such as intrinsic and extrinsic and how we address those individual needs in the online course. Those whose grades are more important (extrinsic) and those who are more concerned with individual accomplishment (intrinsic) should be encouraged based on those individual preferences. 

Comment on Tonya Cornelius's post: This is really what I focused on as well, when I went through this section. 

Each student learns differently. Therefore, it is important to lay out the course, give frequent reminders of what is due and when, praise those that have completed the work in a timely fashion, gently remind those who are late, ask if they need further assistance or clarification of the course material.

It is important to have an open line of communication with students. Also, to let them know you are there for them.

Instructors should  complete a self-analysis of their abilities in order to be an effective  online instructor. 

Being comfortable with using technology, organized, detail oriented, multitasking, good time management , to say the least.

Online instructors must be good communicators, especially communicating in writing and in a concise manner.

That it is essential to help students assess their ability to be successful online learners.  Instructors should not only help students identify their strengths and weaknesses but provide techniques to improve upon their weaknesses to make them more competent online learners.

SELF-motivation is a main criterion for student success in online classes. There are two types of motivation. Intrinsic motivation arises from a desire to learn due to inherent interests, for self-fulfillment, for enjoyment, or to achieve mastery of the course content.

Extrinsic motivation is motivation to perform and succeed for the sake of accomplishing a specific result or outcome.

Time management may be the biggest factor in succeeding in an online course. Successful online students have to be proactive in their studies and take responsibility for their own learning.

This module drove home the point that instructors must be excellent facilitators to ensure that students are fully aware of the workload they will be expected to manage. Making the syllabus as clear and explanatory as possible is an essential step in this process, as are end of course surveys to register any difficulties students may have had due to the course organization and policies.

A lot more effort is needed for online courses.

I so appreciate learning more about this subject.

Student and instructor assessments are necessary to identify and correct weaknesses that may hinder learning.

Helping students become adept online learners goes beyond teaching technical skills; it involves fostering a positive online persona. It's crucial for students to learn about digital etiquette, privacy protection, and maintaining a good digital reputation.

I learned quite a bit about Intrinsic and Extrinsic Motivation, and I found myself really appreciating the techniques instructors can use to keep students motivated.

Sign In to comment