Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Instructors that are teaching online need to be aware of their students and disabilities. 

The value in accommodations.

An understanding of students are motivated is essential to delivering an online course

Instructor motivation is key. Meaning, try to motivate students throughout the online course in many different ways. 

Great info!

This was a good review of motivation, time management, clear instructions, expectations, and classroom accommodations for learning challenges.  Identifying needs, however, without backup methods to assist student needs isn't helpful to anyone.

Working to set up an online class that includes encouragement, goal setting, and understanding and encouraging students to manage time, know their strengths and weaknesses along with the encouragement to strengthen their weaknesses will make the online experience better.  

I must remind my students that if they need accommodation for a learning or physical challenge, they should connect with campus support services. It is on my syllabus that students are responsible to reach out to student services. Once they have the student's report, student services can work with faculty to identify the accommodation appropriate for the student's needs. This can't happen until the student's needs are assessed by support services. I am happy to comply with direction from student services since it is designed to maximize student success.

I believe that online learing is an extension of our hands on style. I like to speak to as many students in great detail prior to teaching. This allows me to guage their abilities and commitments for online. I also agree that time managment is very important. A student that can't commit to in-person learning because of prior commitments will also have a poor online experience if they can't dedicate the time required to interact online, as well as doing the required follow up and labs.

I've learned that not only should I assess the students online capability I should assess my own online capabilities, and will do so in future classes.

I love the idea of organizing your time like organizing your closet.

I like the idea of getting students to share their strengths and weaknesses and finding strategies to help them use their strengths and improve their weaknesses.

I have learned to review the course material by going through the class session myself first to better help the student be prepared for what to expect.

Students with special accommodations should be made in the forward front of the course.  

Students with special accommodations should be made in the forward front of the course.  

If students do not self-identify, it is difficult to know whether a learning disability exists. In past, I've always checked with the dean/director of education if a student has mentioned that they have a learning disability but has not self-identified to the powers that be.  Their  needs are important, but the disability needs to verified to ensure that the student is not "gaming the system."

Self-analysis for both students and instructors + understanding motivation as a criterion for success as aspects of course design & online readiness. 

Encouraging students to have mentors and understand how they can be successful is very important.

Clearly define all aspects of the class in the syllabus and class overview.

Hello all,

As an online and Hybrid Instructor, I have learned a great deal of time management and flexibility for all. 

Sign In to comment