Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files
In this module, I have learned that all educational institutions must provide reasonable accommodations for their students. In my courses I will accommodate the specific needs of each student.

I learned that the time management is the very important point in the online course.  I learned too the tools that I can use with the students with dissabilities.

The workload of online course is not light, as some students may find. Time management skills are so important to prepare them. Including this information in orientation sessions and in welcome introductions to students is important. 

Time Management is a work in progress and can be challenging to say the least.  I went from F2F type instructor to Synchronous / Asychronous instruction.  This is a complete new environment for the students too.  The time requirement for the students to complete their online assignments was confusing to them but, with some patience and encourangement they are finaly managing their time more effectively.

My takeawy is that students with different learning needs or disabilities need to be taken in early and offered the additional sevices, help, and guidancve to be successful oin the program.   Regardless of the disability it is up to us, the instructor, to find a way for motivated student success.

When a class is primarly online, students tend to minimalize the responsiblities of completing assignments in a timely manner. Reminding students of due dates and following up with students who have turned in assigments late is helpful to keep students on track for success. Keeping the due date/time consistent helps with this, but also friendly reminders through general announcements via email or during online lecture helps. 

It was great to learn all about time management skills building and recommendations. This is the one thing most students in the online programs stuggle with in my experience. I plan to utilize these tips moving forward

Time management is a key to success in any field, but particularly being motivated when you can work from home in your pjs!

the importance of paying attention to those students that may fall through the cracks because of learning

disabilities some may do well with hands on and auditor information

learning the difference between intrinsic and extrinsic motivation maded it clearer for me to understand

what motivates students.

The rule when I was in school was 3 hours of study out of class for every hour in class including online courses.  To me that included homework, or review and reading. Today's students work so their hours are limited. I've seen the curriculum watered down to accomodate the students instead of students making accomodations. If you consider that an online course, students no longer have to drive onto campus, walk across parking lots, to their building, their classroom, you'd think we would have more time. It's not happening. More accomodations for online students leads to students developing worse habits. 

As an online instructor, I must be mindful that I prepare accommodations for all students to ensure that they learning needs are met.

As the instructor, I should be able to apply different teaching methods in order to reach all students.  Not everyone learns the same, and I should present information in a manner that can reach all students.  I should have the students evaluate themselves to see what tools they will need to be successful in an online course.  

Student performance in an online environment requires the individual to be self-motivated and practice good time management skills. It seems that some students are merely content with simply getting by, rather than excelling to be the best they can be. This is evidenced in poor time management performance, last minute procrastination and/or late submissions.

Some steps to helping students become successful online learners will include self-evaluation of both students (as learners) and instructors (as presenters). It is helpful for instructors to have taken an online class prior to teaching an online course, so that they can understand the benefits and challanges that their students will go through. Specail attention must be provided for students with learning disabilities, to ensure that they are provided the tools that they need to succeed in the class. 

Students must have good time management skills in order to keep track of assignments and when they are due. Without good time management skills the students can fall behind and miss important topics. 

In this module, I learned about the importance of teacher and student's self-assessment prior to engaging in an online class. I also learned about providing accomodation to students with learning disabilities and that resources should be included in the syllabus and offered by the institution to the students.

It is very important for students to understand time management. 

It is disappointing that a course such as this would suggest that multitasking is not only possible, but critical to online learning.  People cannot simultaneously perform multiple cognitive activities.  Our brains are not quad core processors.  Task switching is what we all do - and it is highly inefficient and prone to error.

Being in an online learning enviroment takes soome adaptation on both parts, the student and the instructor. Identifying the best way to present your material in a virtual enviroment is very important. 

Sign In to comment