Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We went to a paperless delivery method at my school due to the fact that making students take hand written notes became a problem due to the fact that some students write faster than others. So if you were faster, you had to wait for the slower ones to catch up, while if you were slower, then you may start to feel bad due to the rest of the class "waiting on the slow-poke" so to speak. My only problem with this approach is that hand written notes allow you to retain more of what you are taught. This is the challenge I see with online classes.

Self-analysis, time management, and organization are the keys to online success.

Time managemnt is key for all students of all abilities.

Preparing students for online learning with specific questions as how they learn and if will be the correct choice.

From this module I learned strategies to encourage and support self-motivation in students.  As the module shared, online courses require a high degree of self-motivation to successfully complete the course.  Form this module I will first evaluate my students to determine which students and intrinsically and extrinsically motivated.  With those results I will use the appropriate strategies to encourage continued motivation for my students.

As so in a traditional face-to-face classroom environment, instructors should be prepared to identify learning styles and disabilities in their students.  Accomodations are available for the online environment as in the traditional classroom. In orientation we have a learning styles inventory that students to complete. I now see the value in making sure my online students complete it and results are utilized to their benefit as well.

I liked this quote from the reading: "A student may come to class with a certain degree of motivation, but the instructor's behavior, teaching style, structure of the course, nature of the assignments, and informal interactions with students all have effect on student motivation."  I agree with this and will implement this throughout any online courses I teach.  

I am an ESE teacher in a middle school setting and I learned how accomodations are used in the online environment.  I also can relate to the importance of organizational skills and time management skills for the students and the teacher.  Organizational skills can be an ongoing challenge for me.

I loved the analogy of time management as cleaning a closet and I just shared that idea in an email to all of my new students. The idea of decluttering time is a great one and many of my students are likely struggling to manage the new online format and all the changes to their personal time due to Covid-19. 

I am also thinking about students who may have learning disabilities - we are a small vocational school and it is likely that more than typical students have some learning challenges. However, we don't have a specific department for learning disabilities so I'm going to look into how we ask about them. 

Seth Soronnadi

Learned " That whether learning face-to-face or in an online environment, students have different needs. Some students may have minor cognition problems, developmental issues, or serious learning disabilities. It is very important to recognize those with learning disorders so that the instructor can more effectively deliver content and design learning activities to help all students achieve the learning outcomes."

Reply to Dawn Davies's post:I agree that preparation for online contact takes a lot more time than what's presented. I'd like to hear some best practices in organizing the prep work to avoid spending too much time on prep.

I have learned that extroverted people take over conversations.  Therefore, during a discussion about the lesson I would ask each indiviudal to specific time limit to speak.

Time management in the online enviroment is essential in the learning process and the students need a little help with this.

Tapping in on disabilities at the beginning of semesters are very important.. The teaching process is a must do (into. w/objectives, student-centered lessons, conclusion and measurement of the objective).

Ihave learned that Student motivation is the biggest factor in online success so praise early and often and make the first few assignments those they can easily accomplish.Also, It is essential to provide appropriate interventions to help students overcome certain disabilities or develop startegies to assist in the learning process. 

The online community is a setting including all type of learners just like the classroom. It is important and always necessary to prepare and analyze all your students and pay attention to be prepared to service each as the situation may arrive. Close attention  should be given to those who show withdrawn, quiet or non-verbal during discussions.

I was unaware of the 'Pareta Principle" before this module It's good to know and understand for the teaching/learning process.

Although motivation is the responsibility of the student, it is important for the online instructor to be aware of the importance of motivation and helping students develop and sustain their own motivation.

It is important to understand that time is important. It is essential to recognize if students have disabilities that may need assistance to help a student of any level be successful.

I found it interesting to consider time management in the same terms as management of physical spaces. This idea spurred on some brainstroming for possible exercises that can be tacked on to the readiness for online learning/self-assessment portion of the online course. Relating time management to something that students do every day will make the concept less scary and more "manageable".

Sign In to comment