Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

My take away from this section is that students with learning disabilities may need a different style of teaching in order to be successful in the online environment. This means adapting to the disability to accomodate the student.

Student self assessment its an important tool. Instructor has to identify studens with disabilities and aalowed such students with different tools, deadlines and if possible offer a one on one tutoring

Time management is key. Students' needs vary. This module reinforced that there are procedures in place to help students with disabilities. 

I learned that student may have difficulty with on line learnign due to poor time management skills. The instructor may need to help the studnet find the best learning enviroment tfor themselves

The online learning environment is not for every student. It is important that the instructor help students identify their strengths and weakensses and help motivate them to be successful. Motivation is both intrinsic and extrinsic and not everyone is motivated enough for the online environment.

Interesting comments about learning disability 

I use part of a session on Time Management and Procrastination. TED Talks has one chat that is on procrastination and the  Instant Gratification Monkey. I make this available to my students. The serious subject is presented in a humorous and educational way. After all, do we not all want to talk with Justin Bevers's mom?

Good review of information.  I found the idea of including a survey an important nugget.

It's important to understand time management when it comes to an online course. Good time management can set up a student to be more successful. 

Hello,

I found the survey inventory questions to be a great ice breaker for a online course and plan to implement this in my first day of class. It is important to know sooner than later where your students stand. That way I may pair students based on this information that can be helpful to everyone in the group...where someone may be weak, another student maybe strong etc.

Time management is a major factor in success for a student taking an online course. It is important that both the student and the instructor create a motivating environment when learning online.

Engaging and motivating students is essential to online learning and helping students with time managment, having clear guidelines for online learning and educating students about doing online courses is essential to student success

I learned that online instructors need to evaluate their readiness to teach online, before committing to teaching online. And that online course often take more time and effort to complete than F2F courses.

The idea that it takes we as instructors alot of time to prepare is so true. Add to this discussion, as an international instructor, the concerns I have to be language and culturally sensitive to my student audience.

Keeping track of your work and staying on top of everything is key to being successful! 

It is crucial to encourage structure, organization along with time management for online learners. Many students like the flexibility of online learning but push off their responsibilities for the course because attendance is not a specific time. However, this leads to disorganization and missing deadlines. Students need to set time each week for them to complete their discussions and assignments. They need to put due dates on a calendar and make sure each week they block time to sit and do their required work. 

I knew time was a valuable commodity; I saw it in a different way through the metaphorical use of closet space.

Each student is different.  We tend to look at students as a whole class or in groups.   We must try to make sure to be able to focus on the one also.  We have to be sensitive to student needs, their environment, the self image and self confidence, and their obstructions to learning.  If we can model successful teaching and learning, we can help students become more efficient with time, more organized in their efforts, and more confident in their results.

I like the example of the surveys

It is important to recognize the different learners in each cohort. I try to taylor my teaching to the majority and provide suggestions or meetings for those that fall into a different learning style or group.

Sign In to comment