Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Communiction will be key in getting the expectations to the students early in the course (first day or two).  The challenges in an on-line course will be the varying abilities of the students in the same class (high achievers vs the procrastinators, high intelectual level vs students with IEPs & 504s, etc).  And not having F2F contact every minute of the class will all learners will make it more difficult to keep the special needs student motivated & on-task with the rest of the class. Extra communications to those with special needs will be needed

I like the idea of providing students with an online learner self-assessment. However, I would probably tailor it more to their knowledge of the technology being used for instruction. It will also be important to teach students how to use the online system, and provide expectations for how to interact in the online environment just as it would be in the traditional classroom. I like the idea of explaining to students how to use certain features of the system, and then allowing them a few minutes to practice with those features. I plan to incorporate this type of instruction into my lessons in the first few days of school. Because maintaining student motivation is key, I will likely complete get to know you activities with students, and use them as a the practice run for some of the key features of the technology. 

time management will be a huge factor in both teacher and student success. motivation will also be key

Time management is key and it is important to survey students to help them identify their strengths and weakness when taking an online course.

Transitioning to online format will take a lot of upfront work. Communication will be key for both the students and me.  I need to be proactively thinking about accomodations so I can build them into my course. I'll need more information on Universal Design. 

I had never heard the concept of organizing your time like the way your organize your closet, but it makes very good sense.  I will provide this recommendation to my students when we are discussing the importance of time management.

not every instructor has the abilities, or the desire, to be an online instructor. However, we can all learn to be better instructors by analyzing where our weaknesses lie and how we can improve upon such weaknesses

Time manaagement is extremely important. We need to provide ways to keep kids organized and ways to help them hold themselves accountable. 

I learned the importance of completing self-analysis inventories on instructors and students.

Instructors and students need to understand that online learning requires as much if not more time than F2F instruction. Time management and an understanding of our strengths and weaknesses are essential. An appropriate work space is critical. As an instructor, I need to design the course to keep the students on tack. Have assignments due at regualer intervals. Make certain all directions are clear.

It is good to assist students regarding their resdiness for online learning. 

Time management is probably the hardest for new students to the online environment.

Time management seems to be the big issue these days along with a lack of self-motivation. Students see this, especially in the summer, as a large block of free time and may tend to take more leisurely activities instead of schoolwork. Granted, not all, but some. It was asked many times of me that if they just do the discussions does that count as attendance. I had to tell them that I require attendance to the online sessions because we discuss a wide variety of topics related to the material that may not show up in discussions. I have had students ask for extra time and sessions because they couldn't make scheduled sessions which is something I do when needed.

Motivation is needed to be successful in the online environment. Instructors can keep students motivated with positive feedback. Time management is critical, online courses require as much time and committment as face to face courses. Be aware of students with special needs.

The orientation to online learning format and introduction of new concepts such as how to organize their time like a closet and communication with the instructor and other students are all equally as important as the normal introductions to the class itself. Connecting with each student 1:1 at the beginning of the course helps them feel connected and gives opportunity to answer questions, address their specific needs, and iron out any wrinkles in their confidence about online learning.

What I learned from this module is that I'm heading down the right track.  i have used these techniques for my collegue students.  This I believe has helped the students stay on track with there assignments.  class room participation, Attendance, grades and mastery to the subject.  I just haven't had the students answer a survey due to the fact the students understand from the beginning what we offer for instruction and if they have all the right tools to help them along the way.  I do believe that Instructor's should take a self assesment survey.  That way they can see if in fact are ready to teach online. Also do they have the resources availiable and readyfor them to use as needed for teaching online.

That is is important to have a plan to work with special ed students when working in an online environment.

It's important for student to understand the time commitment of an online course and also to see if they are a good fit for online courses. For some students need the accountbaility of being with peers and their professor. This also touched on the need for accomidations for students who may need addtional time or need aditory assistance. 

Online instuctors should provide a well-articulated syllabus, specify the requirements for succeeding in the course. Clear instructions should be provided for submitting assignments. In general, students have different approaches to online learning and instructors should be able to identify the strengths and weaknesses of each student. Time management is extremely important in online learning and students should be made aware of it. The instructor should provide adequate resources for students having learning disabilities. 

Explaining what is due, taking time to help students realize the importance of time management, and giving reasonable deadlines helps prepare the student.

Sign In to comment