Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In this final module, I learned effective online facilitation should engage, guide, and motivate learnerss, and provide a safe and conducive environment for learning. Therefore, criteria must used as the basis of a framework for measuring growth-- rubrics are a key component and assessment tool-- and provides the instructors with the opportunity to assess students' work consistently and more easily.

Teachers must provide clear and concise space for communication.  Provide consistency and provide a clear rubric.  Do not give the answers just to get to the next assignment.

Rubrics are great when providing feedback to students.  

I have learned the importance of using a rubric and how to design a rubric that will best suit the assignment and the evaluation of the students' progress.

I learned that rubrics can serve as a very useful tool with online learning. Students should already be famiilar with rubrics and once explained, they should know the teacher's expectations when posting in discussion boards. It reminds me of my experience with obtaining my degrees via distant learning. 

A discussion board should have the same framework as a discussion in class.  I use the "no hogs, no logs" for in class discussions to make sure there is a balance of opinion in the discussion.

Rubrics provide students a framework for assignments and a basis for instructors to grade those assignments. 

Having a rubric allows for constructive feedback and consistency from the instructor

This module focuses on the importance of a ruric.  I have always used rubrics and this reinforces my decision to do so.  Rubrics make the directions clear to the student and allow for precise feedback to the student.

Creating a guideline so you do not have low-quality posting, having a healthy community by having students feel comfortable communicating with their peers, collabotayion with other teachers can help with learning how to facilitate so you become the "guide on the side," and using communication and collaboration to develop the learning process.

It is essential to manage discussions effectively. The first discussion post should introduce students to each other. Guidelines for what is expected for postings, how often they occur, and the duraton of the discussions should be posted. Instructors should not be too quick to provide correct answers or intervene in a way that prevents students from thinking things through annd discussing them for thmselves. Rubrics are an effective tool for clear and fair grading and may include format, contribution, justification and responses to the posts of others.

When entering grades I use the Rubrics and give them feedback on their discussion and or any assignment

Rubrics are an important part of communication and should be given at the time of the assignment to better communicate the expectations for the project.

It is important to give students a rubric prior to the studentss tarting to work on a project or assignment so they know up frotn what is expected of them.  I use rubrics all the time to assess their knowledge on a topic, i.e. if we covered a lesson on how to follow a recipe & measure ingredients correctly, I have the students go through stations to practice measuring flour and brown sugar (which are not measured the same way), liquid ingredients & also using measuring smaller amounts with measuring spoons.  I give them a rubric & they practice measuring & receive a grade as they complete the"hands-on"  demos within the stations.  Again, communication is key!

Being a good guide on the side and having rubrics for communication and expectations of online content.

The guide-on-the-side is an interesting concept to me. This seems to allow for the students to become a little more independent and seek out the solutions to the problems before asking the instructor for help. The instructor must be sure to provide the right kind and amount of feedback so they can keep the students engaged, but also independent.

Communication can be difficult for some, so I try and make it more of an activity than a "lesson". For instance, teaching the NEC book, I try and get students to not only come up with the answer to a code question, but then tell me in a PM so that others don't see the answer. Then I encourage the students to discuss how the found it, give small hints, and just generally improve everyones understanding of the material.

I learned the importance to give detailed rubrics to the students so they can have good communication in the discussion forums.

Online instructors should clearly and effectively illustrate expectations via the syllabus and well-written rubrics.

By using a rubric this will help you effectively communicate the etiquette for posting and wait for the studnts to reply don't be so quick to answer.

Sign In to comment