Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Effective use of technology comes from investigating what uses are the most relevant.  In order to effective use these tools we must research and use feedback as a means to improve outcomes.  

I was struck by the discussion that you should assess and re-assess what the most appropriste means of communicvation is. There is always that tendency to default to whatever means of communication that you (the instructor) is most comfortable with. But we have to renenber that there are many different ways of communicating.

I appreciated the information about assessing use of technology for enhanced course communication both in formative and summative ways, and looking at instructor-to-student, student-to-instructor, and student-to-student communication.  This module gave many examples of technology tools available for various types of communication.  Fortunately, I have college-aged and high school-aged children at home so they keep me apprised of the latest and greatest communication platforms.  This module reminded me that it is important to set expectations of technology use for communication at the start of the course, so students are aware of how to reach the instructor when they have questions.

I have learned how to decide which technology to use to be more effective in communicating with my students. In addition, there are tools which are more effective in small groups vs large groups.

Cheryl

It is important to assess the class you are teaching an match the proper tecnology to the requirements of the class while taking into consideration the instructors prefered way of communicating with the students.  It is important to be flexible in changing modes of communication as reviewing students feedback.

I learned that multiple communication tools can be used to enhance student learning.

In a time when many new applications or communication tools are available, I think it is really important to determine the best tools to use. I am glad the content in this course said an instructor doesn't have to use all of the tools available to him/her. Students can easily become overwhelmed if too many tools are being used. The instructor will possibly be overwhelmed, also. Finding the right tools for effectiveness is really the key. I liked the recommendation to evaluate every 3-5 weeks, too. Online students need to voice when tools aren't working but may not feel comfortable doing so unless the instructor invites this information.

Properly using online tools is a very effective way of communicating with students, and efficient for learning. 

Seth Soronnadi.

Learned that: " Obtaining feedback from students to assess the technology communication tool in formative and summative formats provides the instructor with ongoing feedback throughout the course. Therefore, changes can be implemented immediately throughout the course and the entire communication tool can also be assessed."

I have learned the different forms of communication to use in an academic setting.  The module also described the pros and cons of each modality.  In my teaching experience, I like using a combination of modalitles. 

The pandemic made it necessary to use other forms of communicatiion to teach. It forced me to use online format which I may have not wanted to try without a need for using online formats.

Reply to Lawrence Bufalino's post:I agree that feedback from the students and assessing how they are using it and how it helps them.

Most of what I learned here was review of what I already know. I was reminded of several technologies that I have not used for a while, such a Skype. I did like the advice to check with students throughout the course about how well technologies work, although it has been my experience that students quickly contact you if something doesn't work ;)

Nancy Tosh

Be open minded about the new technolgy , the remind app have been a great tool  for our campus. 

There can be many things to help us to communicate with our students and we should take advantage of them 

Using the correct tool can enhance the learning process but used incorrectly even the correct tool can hinder the lesson. It is imperative that thought be given to which tool to use and for waht purpose.

THROUGH THE CONTENT OF THE MATERIAL DISCUSSED IN THIS MODULE I HAVE LEARNED TO RECOGNIZE THE IMPORTANCE OF EVALUATING THE TECHNOLOGICAL MEANS THAT ARE USED TO ACHIEVE COMMUNICATION BETWEEN STUDENTS AND THE EDUCATOR. THEREFORE, I INTEND TO USE MULTIPLE COMMUNICATION TOOLS TO ACHIEVE MY OBJECTIVES IN THE CLASSROOM.

I learned that the communication tool goes in hand towards the goal of the class. The summative and formative assestment about the comunication system was a good, and refreshing, eye opener. Feedback from the students are the foundations of great learning experience. 

We have multiple tools but we must research selecting the one that is suited for us.

It's great to see how many ways of communicating we have now, I think something like Discord could be added to this course as this generation is using a lot to communicate.

An Effective comunication have to be always a open channel between teacher and student. The results of this new TIC that we are living are they integration tool to our curriculum and effectiness is to keep involving our students in our way of teaching. Our students are digital native by their nature they are more propense to use technology in their live basis, it would be more constrictive teaching if we include our students in the use of new technology.

- Fernando Roman

Sign In to comment