Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Modification of Traditional Classroom Activities | Origin: EL113

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Active Learning in an Online Environment --> Modification of Traditional Classroom Activities

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

In active learning there is a shift from techer-centered to student-centered learning. Engagement strategies include a relevance to student lives, inspirational notes,good boundries, high standards, good exampels of work, and targeted feedback. When doing online lectuers, periodic breaks are effective.Initial assessments shoudl not be graded with self-assessments and peer-assessments coming later in the class. Rubrics are very helpful in grading assignments.

Even though online learning has been around for a couple of decades there are still some instructors who still believe their purpose is to dispense pearls of wisdom which are to be picked up by the students.  Moving the process to one of active learning and a more participatory educational experience is not something they support.  I saw this a lot in the early days and in many did not accept online learning as a viable option nor an option that possessed quality outcomes.  Another issue with the online environment is students cannot see the instructor’s body language and voice inflection which could lead to misunderstanding.  Despite the fact I have been involved in online learning for almost 20 years I still find it a bit strange that I have never seen my students and/or faculty members and they are simply an avatar on a webpage. 

The online environment also attempts to create an atmosphere of discussion through message boards but it still has shortcomings.  Therefore, I believe it is important to provide supplemental engagement through videos, news articles, and simulations.  Another challenge is the feedback from the instructor to the student.  Nothing is worse than receiving “good job” and a grade.  Many students would be happy with that response but for those who really want to learn it is of little value.  The instructor needs to take quality time to fully review and critique the work so the student can apply that feedback in future assignments.  Rubrics are very useful, but they need to be supplemented with comments in papers, possibly video feedback, and a live web-ex with students to go over the assignments.  I have learned more from a 10-minute video conference than static feedback on multiple papers.

I have been doing blended classes for over 10 years now but within it we have taken very few group activities that we do in the classroom and placed it in the blended course.  This lesson has encourage me to do more with that. 

Engagement in the course materials must be promoted and encouraged at the outset by the online instructor, to keep the engagement of students

The several different ways to increase active learning were clearly defined and workable. F2F instruction allows the instructor to use several of these techniques without even thinking of it. We need to be mindful to incorporate the active learning environment in the online class.

Active learning is the key difference to the basic on line course. The instructor must buy into this in order to reach the level of succes we all want.

I find the rubric is so helpful for the student they can visualize what they need to incorperate and what is expected. The instructor can concentrate on activve learning.

Students need to use the key concepts in active learning to recieve the knowledge they are looking for. These concepts are participation, reflecting, listening and writing. 

Active learning can be achieved by proving prompt feedback ensuring students participate in discussion boards and reflect on what the have learned. While some do not like the idea of games in the classroom, there are many resources that can help instructors to reach a consensus on how to ensure everyone participate. 

I have learned the rubric is so helpful for the student they can visualize what they need to incorperate and what is expected. The instructor can concentrate on activve learning.

I learned that rubrics can help alleviate assessment stress. 

Seth Soronnadi

I like this point "Highlight All good teaching involves assessment. This includes courses using active learning techniques. Rubrics can assist instructors in adequately grading students’ learning in this academic environment and assist students in understanding the expectations."

A recent forced transition has led me to teach online. In my field- more is F2F online and students tend to hide behind a picture of themselves rather than engage. Inerestingly after one student took it down the rest followed and now we are all engaging.

My main takeaways from this section is that traditional teachers must be open to more active learning styles and utilization of different assessment methods.  As always, the OJT method of "Prepare, Present, Try out, and Evaluate" is still valid today regardiless if you continue using the traditional teaching method or if you are transitioning to the Online or Hybrid methods.  Students have to learn by doing whether that is in a classroom/lab or online however the effectiveness of which one is best, I believe, is yet to be determined for CTE and vocational trade fields.  I am excited about trying hybrid methods of teaching and incorporating more student-centered learning strategies.

I use many Powerpoint presentations in my online courses; I now know that there is an app called "Brainshark" that can help me to create voiceover recording for my Powerpoint presentations.

Encouragement keep each student active has been very helpful in my classes. Students reviewing eachothers work is also very helpful in keeping the learning energy strong.

I've used rubrics for several years it helps elimate any reason for the student not to see what is being assessed for the assignment and is very beneficial to the active learning environment and CTE classroom.

There are many suggestions for tools that are useful for Reading, Reflective writing, Displaying, and Doing that I plan to incorporate for PBLs in my classes next school year.  I also plan to include more rubrics in periodic surveys of weekly progress toward completion of those PBLs.  Those things will help to enhance what I already am doing.

I have been learned there are several things to consider when incorporating active learning techniques for an online course.  Provide active learning will be implemented in the course, use inspirational notes throughout the term, set high standards and expectations for the students from the beginning; provide targeted feedback; and explain how to use knowledge not just memorize it. I think feedback is extremely important for a learner, it not just grade assignments but help student understand the clean point and encourage them to think and recognize learning subject better.

Sign In to comment