Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Knowledge of students in this format is as important as it is in the traditional classroom. 

I learned that you can showcase your expertise through distant learning by providing a brief biography of yourself. I also discovered that asking students to post a short biography of themselves is a good way of establishing relationship and that this should be one of the 1st assignment to be given to students to be completed by day one. 

In this module I learned that it is important to model the behavior you want your students to display. For example, post an example discussion post to your own question. Also- I learned that facilitating teams or group work is an effective strategy to teaching online. 

Because we won't be meeting our students face-to-face, a form of introductions is imperative for the overall success. Students need to know what you, as an instructor, know - and in turn, you need to have a brief bio of each student in order to identify their potential strengths and weaknesses.

Students learn more when they have access to a physical teacher. It''s important to maintain those connections and that availability to your students.

I've learned how essential projecting and maintaining my presence and authority in establishing a positive-building relationship / online classroom environment.  The instructor can provide a short professional (relevant) biography of themselves and students can do likewise.

As a result of COV-19, if my school system adopts teaching online…I intend to apply of the above.

I liked the idea of sharing instructor hobbies as this might help students initiate conversations with their instructors

I plan to suggest to my colleagues that we add an introduction page to our on line class to introduce ourselves professionally and more informally with a picture and something about our interests.

It may be fun to offer a place where students can introduce themselves but we do have to be aware of privacy concerns with our particular students.  Perhaps we could offer a forum where students can do this but are not required to do so. Or perhaps we could have some sort of online "Bingo" kind of game where people put their names in an interactive document as an icebreaker.

Providing a bio of oneself is one great way of estashing a relationship with each student.

The biography exercise will be particularly useful. Given that my classroom is generally comprised of students with various learning disabilities, I think this might be useful upon returning to in-person learning, as well.

I learned how important it is to establish a relatioshiip with each student.

For learning to occur in any platform and especially the E-Learning platform, we must have relationships and maintain them.  Trust is what learning is about.  I plan on using this information just like I would in my brick and mortor classroom.  Reach out, help, and discuss what the student needs in a timely manner.

Like a regular classroom, I need to establish authority and connect with my students. Sharing my credentials but also some personal information with help the students connect with me. Then the students share similar information with me and each other. 

allowing students to understand the qualifications of the instructor gives credibility to the entire process

I've already found value in getting to know the students on a persinal level. i ahd never thought of the biography thing at the beginning of the class and I like that very much

It's great when you know these students teaching them in a face to face classroom. For students that are learning from an online format, it's always great to learn about them from a personal biography. Maybe one day being able to meet them in person. It's great to have an interactive relationship with each student so that they know you are there and that it makes them feel comfortable and you gain their trust as an educator.

In this session, I learned that it is important to establish a good relationship with students by allowing them to do a short biography and for the teachers to talk about the credentials and experience. The teacher should establish a level of expertise in her/his biography.  This level of expertise will help establish a level of control in her/his distance learning or virtual classroom. 

By posting a summary and my academic credentials for the student to see and having them post a short biography of themselves so that we learn more about one another.

I like that using your credentials / bio is encouraged to humanize the instructor. The faster the student can get comfortable with who they are being instructed by may just increase the rate at which material is absorbed and ultimately retained.

The importance of building relationships even while conducting an online learning class

Sign In to comment